When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoke nipple "pull up tool" (photos needed)

-

Schwinn Sales West

I live for the CABE
You guys that have bought out the old, closed bicycles stores likely have acquired some pretty cool specialty wheel building tools. Unfortunately, some of the specialty tools that you have, might not have any meaning to you because the "operator experience" is no longer with the tool. It's pretty amazing some of the stuff you guys come up with.

I would like to do a post about wheel building/truing and need a couple of photos to help with my verbal description. I can only describe the tools I'm looking for.

Tool #1, is a flat blade screwdriver, bent into an "S" shape, it has a aluminum handle, and the handle rotates around the blade of the screwdriver. The end of the screwdriver has a very small pin that sticks out and fits into the end of a spoke nipple. The tool is used for spoke "pull up" during the truing step of building a wheel.

Tool #2, is a small adjustable bit that fits into a drill motor. Maybe 3/8" in diameter, and 2" long. It's black in color. It has a outer pilot sleeve that fits over the outside of a spoke nipple head. The inside has a flat blade screwdriver bit, with a small pin coming out of the middle of the blade, much like the manual driver in Tool #1. The other end of the tool has a very small lock nut that makes the small pins length adjustable, then you lock it into the distance you want the pin to stick out.

Tool #3 is a VAR spoke end nipper; I do not remember the tool number. It's the normal VAR battleship grey color. I need a side view of the tool, and a close up of the cutting end.

Tool #4 I would like a photo of the very old original Schwinn Wheel Centering gauge. It was just a "C" section pressed steel tool. The adjustable pointer had Huret shifter tension spring with a screw through it. It would be a perfect "home project" tool example, for a low cost DIY tool. It is NOT the later Park Tool version that eventually became the standard tool in every bike shop.

If you have any of these specialty wheel building tools, I would appreciate if you could post a photo to this thread. I also need a clear photo of the side view of a wheel showing about 1/2 of the wheel spokes and the tire valve stem for a clear visual reference. I think a photo of a large hub flange wheel would be most clear for the description.

Thanks for any assistance in assembling the material for this future post.

John

Last edited:
You guys that have bought out the old, closed bicycles stores likely have acquired some pretty cool specialty wheel building tools. Unfortunately, some of the specialty tools that you have, might not have any meaning to you because the "operator experience" is no longer with the tool. It's pretty amazing some of the stuff you guys come up with.

I would like to do a post about wheel building/truing and need a couple of photos to help with my verbal description. I can only describe the tools I'm looking for.

Tool #1, is a flat blade screwdriver, bent into an "S" shape, it has a aluminum handle, and the handle rotates around the blade of the screwdriver. The end of the screwdriver has a very small pin that sticks out and fits into the end of a spoke nipple. The tool is used for spoke "pull up" during the truing step of building a wheel.

Tool #2, is a small adjustable bit that fits into a drill motor. Maybe 3/8" in diameter, and 2" long. It's black in color. It has a outer pilot sleeve that fits over the outside of a spoke nipple head. The inside has a flat blade screwdriver bit, with a small pin coming out of the middle of the blade, much like the manual driver in Tool #1. The other end of the tool has a very small lock nut that makes the small pins length adjustable, then you lock it into the distance you want the pin to stick out.

Tool #3 is a VAR spoke end nipper; I do not remember the tool number. It's the normal VAR battleship grey color. I need a side view of the tool, and a close up of the cutting end.

If you have any of these specialty wheel building tools, I would appreciate if you could post a photo to this thread. I also need a clear photo of the side view of a wheel showing about 1/2 of the wheel spokes and the tire valve stem for a clear visual reference. I think a photo of a large hub flange wheel would be most clear for the description.

Thanks for any assistance in assembling the material for this future post.

John

I am pretty sure I have #2 covered for you.........

thumbnail_IMG_3857.jpg

Back