When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoke nipple washers

-
I understand the measuring of the spokes but what sizes correlate to the gauges ,8/10/12?

New Departure model D would be my go to for a regular coaster on a whizzer. I've been told the Bendix flying B was an option for the whizzer, but I've only had lackluster performance out of them. I know Morrow made a .105" drilled hub too, but really a lot of the wheels I've come across by themselves were drilled up DIY style. Then there are the coveted drum hubs...
For Non-drum in the front, I think your options are pretty limited for .120". Bendix model K hub and the more rare Eclipse Machine Division(early Morrow that turned into Bendix I believe). These were used on the Cycle Truck and Wasp, offered in the catalogs as "Knockout front hubs" with a quill axle. The High Flange HD hub was also offered as a Cycle Truck option(think phone dial style flange of a drum hub without the drum). Those are probably the hardest to find.

I think Union and Chair brand front hubs, maybe one oddball low flange Bendix were used in the middleweight and lightweight Tandems but they were .105" spokes from what I remember.

One other oddball HD hub was Monark stamped. It seems like all the brake parts were oversized, including the shell bore. Thinking it was made by ND special for them, but I've never seen documentation. I was just told they were for Monarks with engines....even though I've seen more of them in .080" size than .120". I need to start a thread for this hub.

As far as nipples go, you're at the mercy of the stock that you can find. The newer produced nipples are typically shorter and thinner, where the old stock Torrington and Union nipples will really fill out the holes in your S-2s. The gauges as marked for use on a spoke wrench vary quite a bit as far as what gets used on which manufacturer's nipple from which time period....I've never nailed it down to a science. 15ga will be the smallest diameter and 10ga the largest you'll find on a bike. 9ga and larger start into motorcycle and car nipples I believe.
Mostly I've had to reuse what nipples come on the wheel and finding a matching HD nipple to replace a damaged one can be a pain. I'm sure there's folks out there who deal in only whizzers and have came across a better supply of these parts too though. I'll try to measure hub holes and get some example pics afterwhile... Will see what kind of .105" drilled hoops I have too.

First up, .120" dia spoke setup measurements:

Sorry...I added a bunch of photos at first, now it's proving to be a headache to edit and delete them so I can keep the sizes in separate posts...to try and be less confusing.

Last edited:
And a third for the rest of the comparison minutia:

Above nipples are all for .105" dia spokes. Modern left-most, and one of the adapter nipples I was talking about that fits the larger holes, I only found ONE in the pile! Lol

Above are .120" dia spoke nipples except for the one on the right that has the .105" ID and .22" OD.
Below, 3 different Flying B hubs. Left is rechromed with no stamp left, top is NOS(note the "36-13" designation), right was either a no stamp or the hub shiner wore all of the letters off. Lol

Unfortunately the photo below is reverse order from above.

Below is a model K with what looks like a Q2 date stamp. Never noticed that before. I wonder, was this the same as Morrow, 2nd quarter of 47???

Above, another Model K with different placement of stamping, but still an 11ga hub.

Above nipples are all for .105" dia spokes. Modern left-most, and one of the adapter nipples I was talking about that fits the larger holes, I only found ONE in the pile! Lol
Looks like 72 of those adapter nipples would get the job done. I have 2 sets of .105 gauge spokes and nipples and a set of hoops set up for .120 spokes. My hubs are drilled for the .105 spokes.

I'll keep looking for some but this is all I have in terms of HD spokes so far....
IMG_20211229_1753308.jpg
And I'm probably a third of the way through my pile. Still haven't found the spokes I'm looking for either.... Time spent organizing will make it easier for the next search though!

Back