When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoke prep

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I am rebuilding a Schwinn S6 rear wheel. I will get it tight ,then take it to the LBS to have it dished and true. I have rebuilt non dished wheels w/o any prep. Thought I go with some this time around. The time I finish my part and time I get it to the LBS could be a few days.
I have been reading numerous articles on what is the best spoke prep / lube .There are a lot of opinions out there. Here is some of the options given.

No prep at all
Wheelsmith SpokePrep
Rock &Roll Nipple Cream
Spoke Freeze
Phils Tenacious oil
Antisieze
Linseed oil
Loctite /blue
Loctite / blue mixed with a light oil.

Any opinions?
Also do you lube/ prep the spoke hole where the nipple contacts it?

I have learn one thing thus far. When shopping for Spoke prep on line, if you type in "nipple lube"...you get something totally different:oops:

Thanks

I use 3 in 1 oil. Works pretty well. If you build the wheel right, you won't experience spoke loosening, plus it makes it easier to true in the future. I generally just oil the threads of the spokes. Maybe lubing the rim would aid in tensioning the spokes but I haven't done it thus far. I've built 10 wheelsets thus far give or take with good results and no issues with loosening. I've used spoke prep also and it works fine for assembly.

Yes, always a good idea Sven. I liberally use linseed oil on the spoke ends and nips that I set aside for a day or so before building the wheel. Spoke prep works as advertised, as does blue locktite, although tensioning or de-tensioning is slower imo as it provides a tougher grip on the threads.

I’ve used nothing, WD, and anti-seize. The anti-seize is messy. I like the idea of linseed oil as it seems like that would stay there. I might try ACF50 next time, as well. As long as they turn smoothly, I’m ok.

I use any light oil for set-up spokes in position or place (without cross-overs), just as a preliminary step; and since I then have to loosen half the spokes anyway (for the cross-overs), that is when I apply the anti-sneeze, and tighten each spoke to about the same number of fractional turns.

I use any light oil for set-up spokes in position or place (without cross-overs), just as a preliminary step; and since I then have to loosen half the spokes anyway (for the cross-overs), that is when I apply the anti-sneeze, and tighten each spoke to about the same number of fractional turns.
That sounds like an interesting way to build a wheel!

Back