When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spoke Shortage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Am I missing something? I can easily find DT Swiss, Wheelsmith or Spain spokes in every size. Nearly all sizes are available on multiple web sites and sold individually.

Am I missing something? I can easily find DT Swiss, Wheelsmith or Spain spokes in every size. Nearly all sizes are available on multiple web sites and sold individually.
My assumption is that they wanted NOS double butted spokes, not new stainless. Otherwise we are all missing something :)

My assumption is that they wanted NOS double butted spokes, not new stainless. Otherwise we are all missing something :)
Yeah that’s what I don’t get. @Freqman1 said stainless in his first post. Some clarification of exactly what is needed would sure help.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s what I don’t get. @Freqman1 said stainless in his first post. Some clarification of exactly what is needed would sure help.
Sorry for the confusion. Yep for this build just straight stainless but for the rest of my builds I was looking for the bundle packages of double butted that used to be pretty easy to get--am I missing something? V/r Shawn

Shawn: WIsh you lived near by... I am throwing out a a bunch of wheels and am sure there is something in there that you could use. How many spokes do you need and what is the actual spoke length?
-Ken

Yes, there are fewer sellers with bulk stocks of NOS spokes than a couple of years ago. I used to be able to buy bulk packs of the grey "Union" brand spokes for the 26 inch wheel 3-speeds without much trouble on the usual websites (eBay, CABE, Ratrod, etc.). The Torrington double-butted were always more expensive than the Union straight gauge, but you could find both. When I started looking for spokes earlier this year, the NOS spokes were being sold in small quantities at insane prices.

It used to be more economical to buy the NOS "grey" colored steel spokes than it was to buy brand new Sapim or DT Swiss stainless. Now it appears to be the opposite. I built my most recent set of wheels with Sapim stainless double butted. I have at least 3 more wheels to build this fall and I'm probably just going to go with DT Swiss or Sapim stainless if I have to buy spokes. It works if the rim and hub are very clean and the new stainless spokes match the condition of the other parts. But if you have very old or worn hub shells and rims, the old stock grey ones match much better.

Last edited:
^^^^ Very good read & link to butted spokes & how they relate to lightweight wheels. Did not realize they are not making Wheelsmith butted spokes any longer...😧

Back