When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spokes too long after new hub install

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cyclelogical

Look Ma, No Hands!
I removed the ND model D from my 41 Hawthorne and installed a SA S2C in its place. The flange on this thing is much wider than the old ND hub and despite lacing it cross 4 they come up just slightly too long. Is there a way of fixing this without having to tear it all down and relace with shorter spokes? I thought that perhaps I could use those shims/nipple washers but wasn’t sure about the opinions on using those. Thanks for any advice

Too long...meaning, they're protruding a bit from the nipples? If that's the case, you could just grind them down with a Dremel.
Why didn’t I think of that? That’s too easy! I’d rather have a more complicated and expensive answer, lol. Thanks I think this should work

Possible to post pic?
Here’s a pic of them. Once they bottomed out on the spoke (or sat flush) I figured that was that and I needed to buy shorter ones. I guess if tightening through the top of the nipple and cutting it off is kosher I can easily do that.

Those spokes look fine to me- the ends are inside the nipple. Are the nipples not seated in the rim? Bounce the wheel a few times and squeeze pairs of spokes and they may seat better. All I see you need is a rim strip or a few wraps of cloth tape to cover the heads. Or are the spokes in the picture not tightened completely?

They’re not tightened completely because some of them would stop tightening (bottom out in the nipple) once the top of the spoke sat flush in the slot. When the ND was installed I didn’t encounter this issue because it tightened up fully before reaching that point. I didn’t realize I just needed to keep tightening the nipple past the point it sat flush (perhaps there were burrs or the top was staked)

I definitely think once I tighten them all down to the point of getting it fully trued they might poke out above the top surface of the nipple. If that happens should I dremel the tops and then maybe debur them with a die grinder? Or is that overkill? I do have the rim strips to cover them afterwards

Back