When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spokes too long after new hub install

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well ideally you WOULD want the spoke up in the head. It is strongest that way, not that it matters on a ballooner with brass nipples, it doesn't. Nothing is perfect and I would expect to have to grind down 2 or 3 of them when they are exactly the right size. You cant have them sticking up, it will puncture the tube.

The danger is if you have to take too much off. It is easy to run out of threads and not be able to true the wheel and bring it to proper tension, maybe now, maybe in the future. If it looks like you will need to grind all of them I would get different spokes.
Thanks for this. I’ve trued it up and only two spokes have protrusions, and only by barely a mm, if even that. I’ll grind them flat

Got it back on the bike! I’ll be glad to convert over to 1/2” pitch chain, too. I’ll probably use the skiptooth from this bike on the ladies Schwinn Spitfire that I plan on repairing. Thanks for all of your help, folks. Now I need to widen the holes on the rear fender braces since they don’t fit the new axle…fercryinoutloud

Washers under the nipple heads is not a 'bad' idea as the washers will actually help distribute the load from spoke tension over a wider area at the rim -that's a good thing

Be sure to use a really solid ( thick ) rimstrip to prevent your tubes from being 'chafed' by the nipple heads

Back