When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spokes too long after new hub install

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The SA S2C should take 10 5/8" spokes just like the original hub. Are you sure you have them laced 4x?

Here's the same hub I laced in a while back:

The SA S2C should take 10 5/8" spokes just like the original hub. Are you sure you have them laced 4x?

Here's the same hub I laced in a while back
They are definitely laced 4. I’m not sure if these are 10 5/8” spokes. That was a while ago and I had these new spokes in a box and used them and they worked. I removed the original spokes that came on the wheel (installed with the ND) years ago. They were junk so I cut them and tossed them. Here’s a pic of them now that I’ve tightened them. Haven’t trued them yet but I think this is as high as they’ll ever need to get

I've had that happen, knowing the spokes are the right length, after further inspection, finding out I had laced up the other side, one hole off, making everything seem wrong. Took it apart and viola, everything was fine.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve checked my lacing and it’s good. I think these spokes are just a bit long but should work out. I remember removing the old ND hub from this earlier today and it was trued up fine but didn’t take many turns for tension to break on those spokes.
I get the feeling that when I originally installed these spokes with the ND hub they were probably about at their max, with no room for error. Because of the size of the new hub flange it put the spokes above that limit.
Hopefully all I need to do is true it, grind it and call it a day

Well ideally you WOULD want the spoke up in the head. It is strongest that way, not that it matters on a ballooner with brass nipples, it doesn't. Nothing is perfect and I would expect to have to grind down 2 or 3 of them when they are exactly the right size. You cant have them sticking up, it will puncture the tube.

The danger is if you have to take too much off. It is easy to run out of threads and not be able to true the wheel and bring it to proper tension, maybe now, maybe in the future. If it looks like you will need to grind all of them I would get different spokes.

Back