When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spokes

-

sallen

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought a set of S-2 Schwinn rims and they have .062 diameter spokes. I'm building a whizzer using a 1948 Schwinn B6 frame. Bike will be a neighborhood rider, nothing fancy. Are these spokes ok to use or do I need a larger diameter? Steve

Traditionally heavier spokes are recommended for a Whizzer or any motorized bicycle. Heavy duty Cruisers and paper boy bikes had them as well as Wallmart Huffy Cranbrooks. 270mm length will lace up nicely with a cross four pattern. I've used them from Husky with no problems. A front brake is also advised. Check with Baird for more info on spokes, as he's built a lot of wheels.

I appreciate reply, but will the thinner spokes work? trying not to spend a ton of money on this project.

Yeah, they'll work fine if you tension them evenly and take it easy. Heavier spokes usually require drilling for larger nipples.

Back