When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports COMPAX Traveler...Just Got It

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I guess I'm on a roll this week. First the Schwinn Traveler, and now this! 😊

I've never had one of these, so of course when the opportunity arose to purchase this I jumped on it. I paid than I would have thought I would have, but I've never seen photos of one in this good a shape before. "Time to buy it is when you see it".

From I can ascertain, it's a 1950's model (serial number G6952) and it has the more slender fenders with the front being pointed. ALL original from what I can tell, including the tires that won't hold air. I need to get a closer look to see the maker, but I'll get to that later.

Decal and pin striping are in amazing condition, and there's even a "clamp" on the handlebars that a gentleman would use to keep the leg on his "trouser" from going into the chain.

Enjoy the "as found" photos, and if anyone can give me more info on it, I'd love to hear it!! 😀

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpeg

IMG_1762.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

IMG_1764.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1771.jpeg

@Mercian Hi. Am I correct (I doubt it) from the serial number that the bike is from 1952? I was going by the last two digits. 🤪

I looked again at the Bottom bracket, and also saw what looks like 11H. Anyone now have an idea as to the age of the bike if this additional info helps?

IMG_1785.jpeg

Hi @HARPO

Sorry for the delay in replying, International Time Differences (_:

That is a very nice bicycle.

It's an early Compax Traveller. I have the model noted as E92.

This one comes from my favourite period of Westfield bikes. Westfield normally changed the year coding letter at the end of each year, but, at the end of 1941 Westfield started the coding letter early, probably to identify War Production bikes.

As you've found above, the new number block only ran for a month, and was a mixture of civilian bikes, and the first military contract. The number block was from 1st December 1941 serial number 5000 to 31st December 1941 serial number17433. The prefix letters were G for civilian bikes, and MF for miltary bikes.

G6952 / H11 was probably produced during the first week of December 1941, likely a couple of days before the Pearl Harbor attack. The H11 code says that the frame was made in November 1941.

Notice for the stampings that the H11 is filled with paint, so done before the bike was painted, and the serial number is pierced through the paint, so done after the bike was painted.

It differs in many details from the WW2 and post war versions, for example, the flange around the head tube is not on later bikes, thepoint at which the frame 'breaks' is higher, and the fenders a lot nicer.

It appears that the bicycle is little used. The tires seem original, and the seats are a little fragile and wear easily. You've done well.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
@Mercian Good morning Adrian

THANK YOU so much for your wealth of knowledge! You are truly a walking encyclopedia. 🧐 Now I'm even more thrilled to have it!

I actually got a little chill when I read about the bike being produced just before the attack on Pearl Harbor. I didn't realize that the bike could have been that old, so my poor assumption as to 1952 was way off base not knowing how to properly decipher the dating.

When I first saw the bike, I was drawn to the color because it matched my Columbia Sports girls bike (knowing now that this bike is even a bit older) right down to the rims. 100% original, it has tires that are now rock hard but are marked "WAR TIRE". They'll make a nice display together. 😀

Again, many thanks. I paid a bit more than I had wanted to, but after finding out about it from you, it was worth every penny!!

fred

Columbia girls.png

@jimbo53 Thanks Jim.

I happened upon it when I was buying the Schwinn Traveler the other day. I asked if she had any other, older bicycles and she said she had this one in the basement. The woman didn't have a price for it yet and said she would get back to me the next day. Timing is everything, mixed in with a little luck! 😜

Last edited:
If you don't ask, you don't get. Very important rule in old bike collectiog!! Again, stunning bike and a real piece of history before the COMPAX model went to war.

Back