When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spray Bike spray paint results

-

brewerkz

Look Ma, No Hands!
I repainted a frame with Spray Bike spray paint, really happy with the product. I intend to ride the bike so I wasn't really crazy about sinking $400 into a professional enamel paint finish, plus it was fun painting it myself.

I stripped the frame, filled a few shallow dents with bondo, applied Cold Zinc primer, two coats of solid paint, and several clear coats. With more practice, I think my second try would have come out better.

I am slowing getting period parts - need a wheelset and crankset. For now, I am going to build it with some of the modern parts it originally came with and start riding it.

higgins frame painted 2.jpg

higgins frame painted 3.jpg

higgins frame painted.jpg

Last edited:
I repainted a frame with Spray Bike spray paint, really happy with the product. I intend to ride the bike so I wasn't really crazy about sinking $400 into a professional enamel paint finish, plus it was fun painting it myself.

I stripped the frame, filled a few shallow dents with bondo, applied Cold Zinc primer, two coats of solid paint, and several clear coats. With more practice, I think my second try would have come out better.

I am slowing getting period parts - need a wheelset and crankset. For now, I am going to build it with some of the modern parts it originally came with and start riding it.

View attachment 1201569

View attachment 1201570

View attachment 1201571

Looks great, how easy was it to use/apply?
I've been thinking of using it on a project myself.

Nice - Did you use any specific method to get the top coats of paint to adhere to the zinc primer?
the Zinc Primer came from Spray Bike - it was tricky to use - had to wet sand it to get it smooth. I would use their regular primer my next time. However, the solid paint applied, held great.

Looks great, how easy was it to use/apply?
I've been thinking of using it on a project myself.
The hard part for me was getting all the old spray paint off, then filling the dents until they were smooth. I smoothed the paint with parchment paper per their directions, also did some 1500 grit wet sanding. Follow the spray distances carefully - the primer and clear coat are sprayed farther away then the paint - which is sprayed really close. Also, follow the cautions on cleaners to use (dont use acetone, etc).

I did the fork first to learn the process - then moved to the frame. If you have a bike frame, etc you don't care about - might start with it.

Again, what you see is my first try ever painting a bike.

I read a number of the instructions and thought "cool, a spray that immulates powder coating" then I read that it comes in matte finish and to get a gloss finish, you have to spray on a gloss clear coat.

I read a number of the instructions and thought "cool, a spray that immulates powder coating" then I read that it comes in matte finish and to get a gloss finish, you have to spray on a gloss clear coat.
how you work the paint, then the number of layers of gloss coating affects the finish. I rubbed the paint with parchment within 1-2 hours of spray that smooths it out, then after it hardened (12 hours) I wet sanded. Then applied labels and clear coated. I would say its a very good looking spray paint finish. I think I could do even better on a 2nd try. You would not be satisfied if it was a professional enamel coating. Photos always make it look better ! But, am happy for a rider.

Back