When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spray can "chrome"

-

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I have a couple of so-so bikes as far as desirability is concerned but I'd still like for the (once) chrome plated plastic parts to look as nice as possible so painting them is my better choice. What have you used that gives the best chrome look? The more mirror like shine the better.

Thanks,
Ed

I've tried quite a few so called Chrome paints over the years with nothing meeting my expectations. There are numerous products on the market today that try to imitate chrome or say they do but I can't afford to test them all just for the fun of it. I'm a VHT fan, love their paint but have yet to try the one, #2 in this comparison. Also, if money or cost is not considered I'm sure you could find a product that's a dead ringer for chrome, like hydrochrome.

Spaz Stix looks like it's worth a shot.

Krylon Premium Metallic Original Chrome is pretty good, and by pretty good I mean it is orders of magnitude better than anything that was available even a decade ago. It still ain't chrome. You are probably going to want a chrome-smooth surface to shoot it on. YMMV. The picture looks like a full size spray can. It isn't. It's a tall skinny thing.

1a-10a04672b561_1.79d270f034b3987db980b869c20bbe5f.jpg

Last edited:
Like he says:
It still ain't chrome.
However, it looks fine. Attached pics are plastic crank cap and plastic tail light on a Western Flyer Spaceliner clone. The original vacuum chroming had evaporated or whatever happens to it over 55 years. Rattle can was Rust-oleum Metallic Finish 7718 Chrome. Procedure: 1) Wet sand with 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper 2) Wipe with denatured alcohol 3) rattle away

View attachment 1356708

View attachment 1356709

Back