When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spray paint removal ? , factory paint underneath safe tips please

-
That is awesome that the Wd40 and steel wool worked so well for Buickmike. There are lots of ways to safely remove paint, and Morton is right, try on a small concealed area first. I got a "yard" bike that had been hastily painted with a silver spray paint, that nothing would would completely remove, except Parks brand paint remover and steel wool, and it still wouldn't get off all the silver paint. There is a boy's Columbia on my work stand right now, that was a nice 50's Columbia that had light blue house paint on it. The bike was 100% correct, except for the poor re- paint. I paid 250 bucks for it at a swap, thinking the blue paint would easily come off with Goof Off, or oven cleaner. I ended up parting the bike out, and making a rat-rod out of the frame. Some paints just won't budge. It's like they melt into the original finish. It's funny really, because when you want to get a nice adherence, sometimes your paint job will peel.

I tried quad zero steel wool and liquid micro compound polishing/cutting fluid. It was red spray paint on very old faded maroon paint. What a pain.... good luck with whatever you choose to do.

That is awesome that the Wd40 and steel wool worked so well for Buickmike. There are lots of ways to safely remove paint, and Morton is right, try on a small concealed area first. I got a "yard" bike that had been hastily painted with a silver spray paint, that nothing would would completely remove, except Parks brand paint remover and steel wool, and it still wouldn't get off all the silver paint. There is a boy's Columbia on my work stand right now, that was a nice 50's Columbia that had light blue house paint on it. The bike was 100% correct, except for the poor re- paint. I paid 250 bucks for it at a swap, thinking the blue paint would easily come off with Goof Off, or oven cleaner. I ended up parting the bike out, and making a rat-rod out of the frame. Some paints just won't budge. It's like they melt into the original finish. It's funny really, because when you want to get a nice adherence, sometimes your paint job will peel.
I think buickmike? did an extensive write-up on here on his removing over painted frames...really good info in it...

I tried Easy Off oven cleaner today as a previous post on this thread recommended. Just sprayed it on and waited 10 min and wiped it off. It cleaned pedal blocks that were sprayed with silver paint and also a silver fork, that is now black. It worked very will for my job! Good tip! Jay

I tried Easy Off oven cleaner today as a previous post on this thread recommended. Just sprayed it on and waited 10 min and wiped it off. It cleaned pedal blocks that were sprayed with silver paint and also a silver fork, that is now black. It worked very will for my job! Good tip! Jay

Back in the day we used easy off and./or brake fluid to remove paint from pastic kit models bcause it did not harm most plastic, but I would be very careful about using in on a bike.

It is, however a great grease remover for bicycle chains....spray, let it sit for a few minutes, then brush (I use tooth brush or small steel brush) and hose off. I use heatgun to dry it quickly and relub immediately so as not to allow rust to form.

Warning...............when finished with the chain, clean the toothbrush carefully before using it on your teeth.:unamused:

Back