When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer Fork Modification

-

JLF

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Springer fork mod I thought I’d share with the CABE. One of those brainstorm ideas that can only come from 7 weeks of C-19 isolation

As a life long BMX’er, I just haven’t been satisfied with the ‘performance’ attributes of my springer fork. I built a Huffy Roadside frame to look like something it wasn’t, a classic cruiser; and to ride hard.

I started to wonder if any of the old springer fork designs were anything other than just comfortable?

Last week I swapped on a set of 26 x 3 tires and decided that was cushion enough. I dug through my stash of bike parts and found a length of carbon fiber steer tube I had cut off my new road bike fork a few years ago. With a bit of trimming it looked like it could be a direct fit replacement for the spring in my springer fork.

The test ride told the story. I could bomb hills and corners with a super solid feel. Will the carbon fiber handle the load long term? I know the weave is often strong in a certain direction. We will see.

Oh, and the carbon fiber ‘pipe’ is 154g lighter than the spring.

I know, I could have bought a 26” BMX cruiser fork, but wanted the classic look.

Enjoy the ride!
A70BEE14-F651-4F6A-AD28-CD44149BC8F2.jpeg

93966689-328D-40FD-B0C7-F7CF3F73F5B5.jpeg

BDE86421-99FA-4F6D-ABBC-6662D0C8170C.jpeg

BC18A0A9-C372-41AD-A852-EF98E46A8926.jpeg

CE022D40-878D-4672-81B9-6C3D12EBB73A.jpeg

Wouldn't a full thread bolt with a flat washer then a lock nut up against the Yoke do the trick? Then leave the carbon fiber tube to fill in for looks?

Oh yeah, I actually didn’t think of that?! Probably because I was looking at what I had available. I’d have to find a fully threaded bolt. I may just do that.

I'd just keep the spring for looks, but run a fully threaded bolt the length of the spring and double nut that at each end. Use a good bolt, since it will be taking some stress.

Saving grams is like a drug for me too! An addiction from previous weight weenie bikes I’ve built.

I actually love that 26” cruisers are so heavy. I laugh every time I ride this bike.

I also like the idea of running a fully threaded bolt and reinstall the original fork spring for a more authentic look. I guess I’d run like a Grade 8?

Something about having carbon fiber on a bike like this seemed humorous to me.

I have a carbon fiber MTB handle bar I know would save another full pound (probably), and since the bike is black, would blend in. But in equal measure, I like the ‘look’ of patina’d chrome bars.

5E32B301-BE6E-4C73-BCA4-6FD8397B356D.jpeg

I am currently building a ‘weight weenie’ vintage road bike, fixed gear, no brakes, titanium, while keeping a period correct look, except for a carbon fiber seat.
I cut this length of alloy tubing off of the seat post. It saved a total of 86g. This will be much lighter than the spring on the chrome springer fork I have on yet another 26” cruiser.
This still needs to be trimmed to exact spring size. I may fully polish this so it looks ‘chrome’ to better match the springer fork.
Due to C-19 business closures, I still haven’t yet ventured out to a hardware store to look for a threaded bolt to do this same job. So I stick with this idea for now.

Back