When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer Fork Modification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JLF

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Springer fork mod I thought I’d share with the CABE. One of those brainstorm ideas that can only come from 7 weeks of C-19 isolation

As a life long BMX’er, I just haven’t been satisfied with the ‘performance’ attributes of my springer fork. I built a Huffy Roadside frame to look like something it wasn’t, a classic cruiser; and to ride hard.

I started to wonder if any of the old springer fork designs were anything other than just comfortable?

Last week I swapped on a set of 26 x 3 tires and decided that was cushion enough. I dug through my stash of bike parts and found a length of carbon fiber steer tube I had cut off my new road bike fork a few years ago. With a bit of trimming it looked like it could be a direct fit replacement for the spring in my springer fork.

The test ride told the story. I could bomb hills and corners with a super solid feel. Will the carbon fiber handle the load long term? I know the weave is often strong in a certain direction. We will see.

Oh, and the carbon fiber ‘pipe’ is 154g lighter than the spring.

I know, I could have bought a 26” BMX cruiser fork, but wanted the classic look.

Enjoy the ride!
A70BEE14-F651-4F6A-AD28-CD44149BC8F2.jpeg

93966689-328D-40FD-B0C7-F7CF3F73F5B5.jpeg

BDE86421-99FA-4F6D-ABBC-6662D0C8170C.jpeg

BC18A0A9-C372-41AD-A852-EF98E46A8926.jpeg

CE022D40-878D-4672-81B9-6C3D12EBB73A.jpeg

Wouldn't a full thread bolt with a flat washer then a lock nut up against the Yoke do the trick? Then leave the carbon fiber tube to fill in for looks?

Oh yeah, I actually didn’t think of that?! Probably because I was looking at what I had available. I’d have to find a fully threaded bolt. I may just do that.

I'd just keep the spring for looks, but run a fully threaded bolt the length of the spring and double nut that at each end. Use a good bolt, since it will be taking some stress.

Saving grams is like a drug for me too! An addiction from previous weight weenie bikes I’ve built.

I actually love that 26” cruisers are so heavy. I laugh every time I ride this bike.

I also like the idea of running a fully threaded bolt and reinstall the original fork spring for a more authentic look. I guess I’d run like a Grade 8?

Something about having carbon fiber on a bike like this seemed humorous to me.

I have a carbon fiber MTB handle bar I know would save another full pound (probably), and since the bike is black, would blend in. But in equal measure, I like the ‘look’ of patina’d chrome bars.

5E32B301-BE6E-4C73-BCA4-6FD8397B356D.jpeg

I am currently building a ‘weight weenie’ vintage road bike, fixed gear, no brakes, titanium, while keeping a period correct look, except for a carbon fiber seat.
I cut this length of alloy tubing off of the seat post. It saved a total of 86g. This will be much lighter than the spring on the chrome springer fork I have on yet another 26” cruiser.
This still needs to be trimmed to exact spring size. I may fully polish this so it looks ‘chrome’ to better match the springer fork.
Due to C-19 business closures, I still haven’t yet ventured out to a hardware store to look for a threaded bolt to do this same job. So I stick with this idea for now.

Back