When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer Fork Modification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Since you like the look of the springer fork, perhaps you might be able to fit a narrower sleeve (small pipe) inside of the spring, maybe even chrome plated or brass (1/4” IPS lamp parts)?

Last edited:
Go with old school leaf lol

Screenshot_20200523-105256.png

Removing the spring makes the springer fork kind of look like the early Gary Littlejohn fork - anyone have a pic of that GLJ fork?

Reactions: JLF
Weight Weenie! Love it! Could this possibly be a new thread for those of us working on old bikes to make them as light as possible? Weight reduction is one of my goals for my Typhoon flat bar build that I recently posted in the custom build section of the CABE.

Springer fork mod I thought I’d share with the CABE. One of those brainstorm ideas that can only come from 7 weeks of C-19 isolation

As a life long BMX’er, I just haven’t been satisfied with the ‘performance’ attributes of my springer fork. I built a Huffy Roadside frame to look like something it wasn’t, a classic cruiser; and to ride hard.

I started to wonder if any of the old springer fork designs were anything other than just comfortable?

Last week I swapped on a set of 26 x 3 tires and decided that was cushion enough. I dug through my stash of bike parts and found a length of carbon fiber steer tube I had cut off my new road bike fork a few years ago. With a bit of trimming it looked like it could be a direct fit replacement for the spring in my springer fork.

The test ride told the story. I could bomb hills and corners with a super solid feel. Will the carbon fiber handle the load long term? I know the weave is often strong in a certain direction. We will see.

Oh, and the carbon fiber ‘pipe’ is 154g lighter than the spring.

I know, I could have bought a 26” BMX cruiser fork, but wanted the classic look.

Enjoy the ride!
View attachment 1191787

View attachment 1191788

View attachment 1191789

View attachment 1191790

View attachment 1191791

View attachment 1191792

Like this idea ,I did some what the same thing when I built this bike for my grandson as it came together I realized it was to low to the ground so I merely added a piece of pipe as a sleeve to go over the bolt on the springer to keep it from moving. Here's the bike I built out of two doner girls bikes for my grandson, he is now 22 years old.
lilblackstretch029.JPG

lilblackstretch037.JPG

lilblackstretch001 (2).JPG

lilblackstretch005.JPG

Back