When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer fork options?

-
Schwinn did make side,-clamped rim brakes for front. Possibly to fit pre-1955 and post springer but, for tubes or solid fork?. Maybe some type of clamp-on-fork rim brakes will work.

they made those clamp on brakes for both springer and regular blade forks. $75.00 - $125 on ebay

they made those clamp on brakes for both springer and regular blade forks. $75.00 - $125 on ebay
On second thought, It's the whole pivoting concept that aint gonna happen. I mean, A Mount would have to free float with the wheel. In essence the wheel is moving forward and back, diagonally in relation to frame and head post. or, up and down in other types or contraption of springing fork. However you mount a brake from fork you're gonna be grabbing the rim and wobbling against fixed position of head post, in one way or another. wait, [edit], the fork sides are on the pivot so, it's floating with the wheel, never mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. With a 3 speed bike, I would either need a springer fork with a drilled hole for caliper brakes, or an upgrade to a front drum brake. Or possibly a coaster brake three speed rear hub. None of those sound like options I want to pursue. I suspected Schwinn never made a spring fork drilled for front caliper brakes.

Not saying I am going to do this project. Target bike would be my '63 Tiger 3 speed. I was just wondering how difficult it would be to do, and what the source of a good spring fork would be, etc. It does appear there was a clear break in the spring fork production, maybe a couple? I see from catalogs and price lists you could get an all chrome spring fork as an "accessory" from at least the mid 50s into the 1964, the last year of the spring fork Jaguar. I assume 26 inch wheel spring fork production ended with the Jaguar. Then the Krate spring forks were made for those, but again dropped when those were ended. Last would be the 1980/81 spring forks for the Deluxe Cruiser for those years before the Chicago factory was closed thus ending Schwinn spring fork production. Does that roughly sound right? Interesting about the noted differences between 1950s/60s spring fork production and 1980/81. I guess I'd have to compare those close up. Pictures of the 80/81 cruisers don't look different from middle weight spring forks of the 50s/60s, at least in terms of construction. Maybe the chrome plating wasn't as good in 80/81? Will read the thread Jeff posted on spring forks. Great to learn new stuff!

Here you go....................a period correct Schwinn fork for your project.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=124221281063

Here you go....................a period correct Schwinn fork for your project.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=124221281063
Yeah, That's post 55 "new style" Springer too 1970's, Solid Pivot tube fork crown. What the op needs or could opt for is this accessory by Schwinn.

As Seen in this 4 years ago CABE sale: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/s...e-for-springer-forks-w-lever-and-cable.102493

img_4377-jpg.jpg
img_4383-jpg.jpg

img_4379-jpg.jpg
img_4382-jpg.jpg
img_4378-jpg.jpg

that is for a blade fork. if you were to do a search for "Schwinn brake" and put it in your watch list you can set it up so you get an email every day with all the new items with Schwinn brake in the title. eventually one will show up.... or you could just use the back brakes...

Do check out the custom and rat rod bikes. They do some awesome modifications and nothing is impossible. Here's something else, the rat rod and custom folks could care less about modifying a stock bike or part of one and carry little "baggage" about making changes to an original Schwinn. Keep any stock parts separate and labeled that you remove from your bike. If you tire of it, you can put it back stock, or at least give the original parts to the next owner. Welcome to the Cabe. I like my Schwinns to have all Schwinn parts on them. If I build a clunker or rat rod I'm not picky, and mix parts. Have fun and enjoy the hobby and do what you like, it's your bike.

This is just my 2 cents worth.
If you want to go custom... Monark style springer 1 " threaded on eBay around $180 chrome, a little cheaper all black.
s-l300_1.jpg

Springer fork found on the Murray King Kat.
OIP_1.jpeg

Or if you want to make a "long bike". Some of the motorcycle chopper forks of the 70s, which were not up today's safety standards (junk and dangerous for a motorcycle, but okay for a bicycle), had a 1" fork stem. You can find them, but sellers think they are gold.$$$$. You just has to remember rake and trail when using an overstock ( length) fork. Looks like the one below is was built by an talented individual.

Well, this thread has easily convinced me not to put a springer fork on my Tiger. It's great how it is. I had a '58 Deluxe Hornet for a while. Loved the "cushion" type ride of that one, but single speed is getting harder for me. I really only rode it a few times a year, so decided I had too much $$ tied up in it to keep it. Just thought it might be interesting to have a multi-speed springer fork bike, but that may be a challenge I'm not interested in pursuing.

Here's the Tiger with the upgrades I have put on it: Troxel "beehive" seat, rear '60s Schwinn rack, Schwinn bow pedals, Kenda 26 x 1.93" whitewall tires. The combination of the seat and the tires give a pretty nice ride!

Back