When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer Fork Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No, ya can't do that; use old crown with new springer

No, there were 20 and 24" Springers for Junior models prior too 1955 yet, today so rare ya hardly ever see or hear of em.

But for starters here's a 24" Locking: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-new-pair-lets-see-more-chartreuse-schwinns.128989/
View attachment 1257678

You can retro fit 1955 springer to a pre 55 and earlier but it's hardly worth supplying all the parts to do so.

Here's the parts list. In 62 Schwinn called them "Old style spring fork" And listed above that GT posted the 55 "New style spring fork, that continued through the70's and in 1980 there were slight mods but same fit. It By 1990's virtually the same thing which seems to been made even by Pacific cycles which seems to stayed close to the same up to IDK about 5 year ago. However 90's and up got really cheep chrome.

Regardless, check the parts you'd need to change to convert into a locking springer here:

View attachment 1257660
I LIKE THAT 24 INCH GIRLS BIKE.
DID YOU KNOW THAT ON THAT GIRLS BIKE, THE HEAD TUBE/STEER TUBE DIFFER FROM ALL OTHER POSTWAR BOYS 24 INCH BIKES.

If you'll enlarge the picture in post #10, you can see that the bolt is an "AS" bolt.

Not sure what picture you’re referring to, counting down 10 posts from the top gets to the pictures of the all chrome Krate style springer, that one has the “S” yoke bolts. The picture I posted after that one is the old style pre-1955 with the “AS” yoke bolts. I don’t know when the bolt style changed. In the picture of the 1959 Wasp that has the springer, you can’t tell what yoke bolt style it has. That springer is different from the old style and the Krate style.

The 59 Wasp is the one to which I'm referring. On my computer, when you click on the picture, and hold down the control key, you can use the roller on the mouse to enlarge the picture. When I did that, I could make out the AS on the head of the bolt.

The 59 Wasp is the one to which I'm referring. On my computer, when you click on the picture, and hold down the control key, you can use the roller on the mouse to enlarge the picture. When I did that, I could make out the AS on the head of the bolt.
Ok, good to know. I think that springer is the “new style” post-55 for the middleweight and balloon bikes, different style from the Krate springer. That style springer is hard to find, there are 3-4 of the Krate style on eBay now but none of the middleweight/balloon style.

Ok, good to know. I think that springer is the “new style” post-55 for the middleweight and balloon bikes, different style from the Krate springer. That style springer is hard to find, there are 3-4 of the Krate style on eBay now but none of the middleweight/balloon style.

A 1961 spring fork will definitely have AS bolts, pivot bolt thru the fork legs and have painted fork legs. The full chrome 26" spring forks came out in 1963 on the Jaguars. Schwinn began dropping the name Arnold on the seat mask decals on the lightweights in 1966. All the 66 catalogs were printed prior to 66 so they still have the Arnold Schwinn Company name and if you look at the 1967 catalogs they had the name changed to Schwinn Bicycle Company, which was also printed on the seat mast decals. When they changed the hardware stampings from AS to the S was later and I'm not sure when that all happened. I read that the name change became official/legal in 1969. Maybe @vastingray can give us a good idea when the change from AS to S hardware came about.

A 1961 spring fork will definitely have AS bolts, pivot bolt thru the fork legs and have painted fork legs. The full chrome 26" spring forks came out in 1963 on the Jaguars. Schwinn began dropping the name Arnold on the seat mask decals on the lightweights in 1966. All the 66 catalogs were printed prior to 66 so they still have the Arnold Schwinn Company name and if you look at the 1967 catalogs they had the name changed to Schwinn Bicycle Company, which was also printed on the seat mast decals. When they changed the hardware stampings from AS to the S was later and I'm not sure when that all happened. I read that the name change became official/legal in 1969. Maybe @vastingray can give us a good idea when the change from AS to S hardware came about.
Hi the change I’m pretty sure went from AS to S bolts in 69

I LIKE THAT 24 INCH GIRLS BIKE.
DID YOU KNOW THAT ON THAT GIRLS BIKE, THE HEAD TUBE/STEER TUBE DIFFER FROM ALL OTHER POSTWAR BOYS 24 INCH BIKES.
Yeah and that would be why I know or knew there were 20" springers before stink-rays, scrapping and trading kids for parts to build one. All Schwinn Junior 24" boy bikes fit any boy 20" frame. I.E. kids used Schwinn's 24" springer fork before Schwinn built Krates. But Dam a old pre-krate boy 24" springer is like,, impossible today. IDK, maybe my generation and those who followed, stuck em on Krates. And Girl 24, aint transgender.

Last edited:
No, ya can't do that; use old crown with new springer

No, there were 20 and 24" Springers for Junior models prior too 1955 yet, today so rare ya hardly ever see or hear of em.

But for starters here's a 24" Locking: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-new-pair-lets-see-more-chartreuse-schwinns.128989/
View attachment 1257678

You can retro fit 1955 springer to a pre 55 and earlier but it's hardly worth supplying all the parts to do so.

Here's the parts list. In 62 Schwinn called them "Old style spring fork" And listed above that GT posted the 55 "New style spring fork, that continued through the70's and in 1980 there were slight mods but same fit. It By 1990's virtually the same thing which seems to been made even by Pacific cycles which seems to stayed close to the same up to IDK about 5 year ago. However 90's and up got really cheep chrome.

Regardless, check the parts you'd need to change to convert into a locking springer here:

View attachment 1257660
So the 1980s version (picture below, part number 54 790) looks to be the same as the “new style” used after 1955, except the forks and center crown assembly are not painted and “S” yoke bolts are used instead of “AS” bolts. One change that I see that I don’t understand, the base of the center crown assembly looks to be sealed on the 80s version whereas the New Style shows a bolt insert in the base of the crown assembly. Not sure why this changed and if it matters.

9D10F2C5-A30F-4B3C-BBF2-7B97B1B06769.png

D1042606-803F-4698-A19A-1452F63E3C03.png

9151EB83-18A2-44CA-A23D-CDA546C58EA1.png

43151CF8-A068-4077-A62A-1FAF12E5F9BA.png

E801809E-C16A-4813-A67C-8DC77616B884.png

So the 1980s version (picture below, part number 54 790) looks to be the same as the “new style” used after 1955, except the forks and center crown assembly are not painted and “S” yoke bolts are used instead of “AS” bolts. One change that I see that I don’t understand, the base of the center crown assembly looks to be sealed on the 80s version whereas the New Style shows a bolt insert in the base of the crown assembly. Not sure why this changed and if it matters.

View attachment 1280549

View attachment 1280550

View attachment 1280552

View attachment 1280553

View attachment 1280554
On your older, what, Wasp? 1955 forward there should be a track like rims have at the base of the steering tube or under the threads. . The pivot is 1 molded piece., same on your on black bike and, only Schwinn made it. . The 80 should have tracks too, I don't see on yours.. but, IDK before or shortly after 80 except it's 3 piece like today's and most china. However the 80 pieces are a bit sloppier welding and some grinding (Kind of cheap looking for being sloppy) just like yours. Whereas, The 90's and forward are clean joints, electro forged smooth and clean which are even harder to tell differences in after market. I have a few 90's but never looked for tracks albeit, Don't think there are any. .

Last edited:
Back