When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Springer fork woes

-

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
Acquired a fork that I can't figure out. Seller told me it was an aftermarket (which is fine) but the steerer tube is too short for my 66 Typhoon. Not to mention that I have no idea how to mount my fender now as the bolt comes out but a shaft remains inside the steerer tube (that is too short).

Ugh. This is why I never messed with springer forks.
angry.gif
angry.gif
Too many variables and too many shots in the dark to make a set up work. So for now it's back to 1) figuring out how to obtain a longer steerer tube 2) figuring out how to mount the fender (isn't it supposed to mount on a bracket that can sway so the springer action doesn't wrinkle the fender?) or 3) scrapping the whole dumb thing and throwing my $$ away.

Maybe I should have just ridden a bike today instead of trying to work on one.
fork_1r.jpg

fork_2r.jpg

fork_3r.jpg

Upon further consideration, it looks like I may have bought an off brand Krate fork.

Yeah I did. The one (steerer tube) on the springer fork is only 5 5/8". Does the fender mount swivel some how?

Yeah I did. The one (steerer tube) on the springer fork is only 5 5/8". Does the fender mount swivel some how?
The pivot through bolt holds the fender mount in.goes directly through the mount.how long is the tube on the stock fork? I don't have one to measure.

THE ATTACHMENT FOR THE FENDER ON A 26 INCH FRAME IS A 'U' SHAPED BRACKET MOUNTED
TO THE FENDER AND THE PIVOT BOLT SLIPS THE THE UPTURNED LEGS OF THE BRACKET.

OTHER THAN THAT, THE LENGTH OF THE UPPER FORK ARMS WILL NEED TO BE LONGER TO MATCH
THE LENGTH OF THE STEER TUBE. LIKE RHENNING SAYS THIS MAY BE A FORK FOR LIKE A 20 INCH FRAME
SUCH AS THE STING RAY OR LOW RIDER. SOME OF THOSE BIKES HAD THAT SPACE BETWEEN
THE STEER TUBE LIKE ISLANDSCHWINN'S PIC SHOWS.

MY TWO CENTS!

This issue and your questions have pretty much been solved for you on the Schwinnbike forum.

This issue and your questions have pretty much been solved for you on the Schwinnbike forum.

I asked here as well b/c not everyone frequents both sites. Plus, someone at the other site answered a question that I didn't even ask. The other site really didn't go anywhere with the steerer tube issue OR the fender mount question- something was brought up about stems, which had NOTHING to do with the OP.

I appreciate the replies here guys, thanks.

Well, when you ever get to the stem you will have another issue come up. Your current stem should be a 13/16" (21.5 mm) and the steer tube on that fork accepts a 7/8" ( 22.2 mm) stem. Meaning you have to shim it a little to tighten up.

I put one on Rosa, my 60s cantilevered Rollfast. It would help if you linked to where you found it. I talked to my LBS and others before I had it installed. Always ask when in doubt.

Back