When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sprint derailleur help needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Been tinkering with this 66 Collegiate I picked up the other day. Trying to get it dialed in so it shifts properly and now it won't shift out of first gear. The cable moves as it should. Wondering if this spring is broken? See where I'm pointing with the screwdriver, the spring hooks onto that little tab that sticks out. There another tab facing the other way, that looks like it should have the other end of the spring hooked onto it.

20180708_170424.jpg

20180708_170524.jpg

20180704_155412.jpg

Most common error is letting the jockey wheel cage rotate when removing the wheel or chain. No tension on the spring then. This has to be done when reinstalling the wheel. Looking at the bike picture this is what I'm seeing.

The derailleur should be positioned like this.

62 Continental 009.JPG

Most common error is letting the jockey wheel cage rotate when removing the wheel or chain. No tension on the spring then. This has to be done when reinstalling the wheel. Looking at the bike picture this is what I'm seeing.

The derailleur should be positioned like this.

View attachment 836109

Thank you, I'll try repositioning it. May have gotten moved out of place when I removed and reinstalled the wheel because it was shifting before that.

GT is correct.I dont see any tension on the spring. Cage is horizontal and should be vertical.

How long is your chain? I ask because the chain appears to be far too short. From some Schwinn bulletins I have a 1970 and later 5-speed Collegiate chain should be 57" (114 links) long, however that bike had a 14-32T freewheel while the '69 and earlier Collegiate came with smaller 14-28T cogs. The 1970+ Suburban 5-speed had the same 14-28T freewheel as the '69 and earlier Collegiate and that bike had a 55" (110 link) chain. Yours should probably be close to that.

How long is your chain? I ask because the chain appears to be far too short. From some Schwinn bulletins I have a 1970 and later 5-speed Collegiate chain should be 57" (114 links) long, however that bike had a 14-32T freewheel while the '69 and earlier Collegiate came with smaller 14-28T cogs. The 1970+ Suburban 5-speed had the same 14-28T freewheel as the '69 and earlier Collegiate and that bike had a 55" (110 link) chain. Yours should probably be close to that.

That's interesting that you mentioned the chain, I was thinking it seemed a little short too. I'll take a look at the chain length later when I address the derailleur.

Ok, finally had time to mess with it. Got the jockey wheel cage vertical, and it upshifts and downshifts fine between 2nd and 5th gear.
Before I couldn't get it out of 1st gear, now it won't go into 1st. When I try to shift into 1st, something is binding up, and the jockey wheel cage wants to go horizontal again.
I have not measured the chain yet but I assume this is the original chain, as there is no master link.
Everything seems to be adjusted properly, as far as I can tell.
Any other ideas with this new information? I can usually figure this stuff out but this one is puzzling me.

5th gear:
20180711_182353.jpg

4th gear:
20180711_182420.jpg

3rd gear:
20180711_182435.jpg

2nd gear
20180711_182452.jpg

Trying to shift into first it does this:
20180711_182506.jpg

Is your pivot bolt to tight and the derailleur fixed in one position? The whole derailleur should also pivot on the hanger. Can't tell in your pics, but the jockey wheel cage is in a different position in each pic but the derailleur itself did not move.

Back