When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sprocket Advice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ron Nichols

Look Ma, No Hands!
Good Saturday All. I am in the closing stages of rebuilding a bike I acquired from a buddy (after 20 years). I am not looking for a 100 point bike but I would like it to be relatively representative. I do have some repop bits but have been told I have the wrong sprocket on it (among other stuff). I got it with no sprocket and this one came from a swap meet. What 'should' it have and yes the pedals were a temp item with correct ones now in hand. All help much appreciated. Oh, it has a serial number starting with the letter I. No luck in identifying what it is (H engine). Any thoughts?

Post war I serial is 1945-46. Here's Marty's 46.

1617475166155.png

Here's another one.

Seems to be a different frame from mine. What is the correct sprocket for mine. Any idea what the bike is? I was guessing a 1946 D97XE6 in looking at the sales guides but again the serial number starts with an I. Lots of talk about being cautious about dating a bike by the serial number.

The chain ring used was the 1" pitch clover as shown on both of those bikes I posted above. The deluxe chain guard on yours was not used with a Whizzer set up. Your bike is a DX and the smaller feather guard was standard issue and you can see in the pictures how the motor fits that guard. The prewar I series serials were used on the 1942 models and when Schwinn started up their retail production in 1945 they reused some of the war time serial numbers with the letters I-J-k. I believe yours is a 1945 model.

1948 catalog page

1617515533965.png

Back