When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spurious Boneshaker?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OldSkipTooth

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This appears crude, chunky, no brake, metal Seat when most are leather. Hmmm.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=302649078041
s-l1600.jpg

Looks legit to me- no obvious welding, and the wood all matches. The hubs are very interesting and could ID the maker. It probably had a brake at one time since it looks like the handlebars rotate. Sheet metal saddles were pretty common- many were upholstered.

Last edited:
View attachment 761075View attachment 761076View attachment 761077View attachment 761078
Your wrong they were made that way. Mine is authentic ca 1860 blacksmith made. That one is authentic. Possibly made in the America but I’m thinking euro. Oh cast iron is a process in its self that requires work that’s costly. That’s a good indicator of a original antique.
Maybe, but it looks like nothing you see in museums or online. I was reading about “blacksmith made” versions and they are thicker and crudely made, but it still looks like a knock off, look at the cast hub with round spokes fitting in...there is not a single example of that online that I can find.

Did a little more digging and discovered a couple of things regarding these “blacksmith made” bone shakers: some can be antique, I.e., circa late 1860’s, but most are not really rideable, as they were a made by someone who was not a bicycle designer or had even ever ridden an early contraption. I did learn that if it has hex bolts rather than square head bolts it is very suspect, a blacksmith at this time would make a square head bolt with threads. The problem with authenticity is we have no makers mark other way of identifying who or where or when. Many of these were cobbled together and then added to decades later. Apparently, if there is any welding visible it is a sign of forgery, or at best a much later repair as there was no practical welding in the 19th c. The Philippines is a common place where some of the knock offs have been traced to. As for this one for sale on eBay, it has multiple bids so what do I know? LOL. The learning is enjoyable!

Back