When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found Square Head Stem Bolt TOC Victor Overman

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay #161452332400 I don't know the size you're looking for, but I'd guess this item is close to it. Fastenal would also be an option. Adding an appropriately sized washer will complete the look. Try Googling square head flange machine bolt.

eBay #161452332400 I don't know the size you're looking for, but I'd guess this item is close to it. Fastenal would also be an option. Adding an appropriately sized washer will complete the look. Try Googling square head flange machine bolt.

Hey, thanks for your interest. The ebay bolts at 3/8 diameter will not pass through the stem hole. Looked at Fastenal and oodles of other search results, nothing with the distinctive square tall head and shoulder seat. The original appears the be 9/32 x 26 tpi of all things but that's TOC for you. A more conventional 5/16 threaded bolt and wedge will work and I do have another one to use if that be the case.

Like most I was hoping for that magic CABE find that does happen now and then but do have options such as fixing the original by fab and/or doner stud. I do have a similar TOC square head bolt with a smaller square head and same shoulder seat, but a longer stud that would need to have the threads cut to reach the wedge seat area.... or what ever else the fabricator may come up with.

It occurred to me that while on the topic for anyone interested, to share a teaching moment, that created this mess in the first place. The last assembler of the stem I assume had little faith in the thread reliability and installed an additional nut locking the wedge in place. Clearly the bolt had been messed with having three different threads cut into it. Not being able to see this upon disassembly as it was up inside the head tube, the bolt just kept turning without any loosening progress. I assumed stripped threads being the cause but the "lock" nut was keeping the works from coming apart. Moral: On an unfamiliar bicycle, such as a barn-find that's obviously had a hard life like this Victor, take a look up the head tube before disassembly. You never know what you might find.

I looked at Tim's/DVS work on-line and it does appear he can work miracles.

grind each half down to a point lay in a piece of angle iron say 1/4 x 1inch x i inch let the head hang off ,clamp in place small c clamps now braze on the top a bit rotate and braze some more now grind smooth you will most likely need to braze then grind a couple of times should be good as new when the repair is finished option b is to buy a new bolt .i used to work in a machine /job shop we fixed everything most times it was not available new or we made it better than new

Back