When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

squeaky brakes and seat

-
Well, I'll say it but you won't like it. The seat on your Racer is for a kid, you need one for an adult. ;) Did your bike mechanic install new brake pads? I'm guessing no if they are making noise.

Kool Stop pads are good but more $'s. All kinds of replacements are available. But don't buy any NOS replacements, they'll most likely be hard as a rock.
View attachment 1162191
These are what you are recommending or saying to avoid?

Ah, put a piece of cardboard, thin, between the brake pad on top and the brace. Put it at the front of the pad. it may not last forever, but brakes no long squealing! The angle just needed a bit of adjustment. I figure it will not last forever, but hey, I can do it again if they begin to wake the neighbors!

Ah, put a piece of cardboard, thin, between the brake pad on top and the brace. Put it at the front of the pad. it may not last forever, but brakes no long squealing! The angle just needed a bit of adjustment. I figure it will not last forever, but hey, I can do it again if they begin to wake the neighbors!
That is an interesting fix. Can you show a photo?

Did you get that cardboard trick idea from "Howcast" video?
You can take a crescent wrench and bend the flat flanges ( where the pads are attached) toe in as well.

This video might be of use or interest to you. Bikeman4U has Speedster project refurbish series.

Yes watched both of those! Ha. How did you guess? Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get that cardboard trick idea from "Howcast" video?
You can take a crescent wrench and bend the flat flanges ( where the pads are attached) toe in as well.

This video might be of use or interest to you. Bikeman4U has Speedster project refurbish series.
OK This video was NOT the one that described the cardboard "fix". The guy is handy but loves to talk. Maybe the info is deep into his conversation. Not in that 17:49 though!

The how vast video talked about it. Oops. Two different videos. The Howcast video mentioned it so quickly I had to rewind and see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back