When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

squeaky brakes and seat

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BroCraig

Finally riding a big boys bike
Schwinn Racer. Front brakes can wake the neighborhood up. Seat is creeky. Any ideas how to dampen the noise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I'll say it but you won't like it. The seat on your Racer is for a kid, you need one for an adult. ;) Did your bike mechanic install new brake pads? I'm guessing no if they are making noise.

Kool Stop pads are good but more $'s. All kinds of replacements are available. But don't buy any NOS replacements, they'll most likely be hard as a rock.
1585271956624.png

What GTs58 said. The brake pads are old and hard. New pads are softer and the noise should go away. The new pads will "bite" better too so you should notice that you'll stop in shorter distance. It's easier on the wheels too.

Ouch. My seat is the wrong size? Is original. Ah. My brakes look like that, but are probably old. Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch. My seat is the wrong size? Is original. Ah. My brakes look like that, but are probably old. Ok.

The seat size might be fine, it's the springs that need help. Maybe install some air bags? lol I had a seat like that on one of my junkers and there wasn't much I could do about the squeaky creaky noise. I could bottom out the springs going over a dip and I'm a lightweight.

Kool Stop Continental brake pads and a seat with elastomer (rubber) springs. Did this a few times. I tried replacing the isolators in a couple of 70's Deluxe seats with no luck. They're simply old and squeaky. 2X annoying on a tandem,lol

If you like the seat you are using, you might try this dry lube on the springs. I've had good results with this. It's also good for lots of other lube needs without having any oily residue. Ditto on the Koolstops and checking that leading edge of brake shoe makes contact first

Wow. Great article! I’ll see if I can find that particular WD-40.

View attachment 1162346
If you like the seat you are using, you might try this dry lube on the springs. I've had good results with this. It's also good for lots of other lube needs without having any oily residue. Ditto on the Koolstops and checking that leading edge of brake shoe makes contact first
Thought you were going to recommend spraying on the wheels, LoL

Back