When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stainless Steel fender question

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have this front fender I believe it to be from a Traveler or Racer , did they offer SS fenders on both? Is this even a Schwinn fender? What years did they offer this fender if so? Thanks for any help

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157 (2).jpg

The stainless fenders continued on the Traveler model up into the mid sixties(until the end of the non-derailleur version?).
I'm curious about what grade of stainless they were though as a magnet does stick to them.

The stainless fenders continued on the Traveler model up into the mid sixties(until the end of the non-derailleur version?).
I'm curious about what grade of stainless they were though as a magnet does stick to them.

I will check it for you, they are so thin I thought they were aluminum.

Schwinn stainless fenders are beautiful. They are also VERY thin, hard, and brittle. They dent easy and just about impossible to straighten to make it look like it never happened. Even if you were skilled enough to straighten not thick enough to metal finish and polish. They also like to crack at the wrap around edge if bent there. Anyone ever try to roll these with any luck?

The Racer was a low budget piece so no SS fenders. The Traveler at least from 55 thru 59 had stainless and I'm sure that continued. @rennfaron is the expert on these. ;)
Travelers had them from the start in '50 to '66 when that model was phased out. Travelers came back later on but it was a whole different bike. Racers had peak fenders from their start in '55 until '63 when they switched to front fenders without a peak after that, but they were painted. However, the Deluxe Racers did get the same SS fenders as the Travelers (see images showing the '57 Deluxe Racer vs regular Racer). They were the only other lightweight model to get the stainless peaked fenders.

I have heard you can roll them and it looks like this ebay seller has done this - see last pic...
My take is there are sooo many travelers that turn up in various condition that you can pretty easily just find another one in better condition than spend the time/money rolling out one that may not come back. And I don't mean find ones for the price those on ebay are going for...

1957_05.jpg
1957_04.jpg

Last edited:
Back