When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stainless??????

-

30thtbird

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently purchased some mid 30s triple steps. I was checking them out after unboxing when I noticed some of the paint was peeling. In these areas I noticed that it was somewhat shiny. So I removed a tire and tube to look at the inside. Again somewhat shiny metal. I am so surprised at how little rust if any is anywhere on the hoops. Could they possibly be unpolished stainless or just near unbelievable condition original steel hoops? Opinions please.

20180906_094508.jpg

20180906_094452.jpg

20180906_094441.jpg

Let me put it this way, if those rims are steel, it's not going to be ambiguous whether they are or are not magnetic. If they are stainless, I doubt they will be 'slightly' magnetic even if it is possible. Those spokes appear to be galvanized steel, if they are more magnetic than the rims, then the rims are probably stainless. I mean we aren't talking about Chinese re-pops here.
It's like being slightly pregnant, either you are or you're not.

Back