When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stamped S2’s

-

Chavez

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am overhauling a ‘78 Spitfire and noticed that the rims have a very faint Schwinn tubular S2 stamp. Is this common knowledge for a ‘78?
I thought they’d be the same as the ‘79 and up un-stamped version. Also the knurling is very very light even more so than say a 1980 cruiser.

This bike also has black wall uniroyal knobbies with ‘78 date code. Did these bikes come stock with these or were they always the Schwinn studded balloon tires?
338289FD-C34C-4D5F-98CA-292E17625236.jpeg

F1AA94B7-74AA-40DC-803E-7F811C3DDA91.jpeg

I don’t have an answer for you. But as to the faintness of the stamp, in that first picture it looks like someone went to town with something fairly abrasive. Probably in an attempt to ‘polish’. It’s possible the stamp and knurling have been worn down.

I don’t have an answer for you. But as to the faintness of the stamp, in that first picture it looks like someone went to town with something fairly abrasive. Probably in an attempt to ‘polish’. It’s possible the stamp and knurling have been worn down.
I agree. It wasn't me just for the record. It looks like maybe a steel wire brush in a drill was used. The knurling is even, that is to say almost nonexistent all the way around on both rims, so I don't think that part was worn down. Somebody out there has to be familiar with this year and model that can chime in. I suppose it's possible that some laced up 2 older s2's and then proceeded to grind 'em to death, but I doubt it.

Back