When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Start Of A Whizzer Special -- Red

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here’s today’s update! We got the rear fender assembled and mounted along with the rack. We had trouble with our frame spreader, so we were unable to mount the rear wheel. We then proceeded to have no understanding of how our schwinn spring tool works, so we couldn’t install our whizzer spring. We did, however pick out an absolutely stunning 300 engine done by Al Blum many years ago. It should be mounted tomorrow! After much fun wrestling with the Cherry Bomber, we proceeded to fulfill my boyhood dreams of sitting on a Monark Super Twin which may someday be a part of my collection. We dusted it off and fiddled around with it for a while and put it back till spring!
DFF01A32-37D5-4932-A81C-986B333CA646.jpeg
416CC0BD-09D1-4E81-B3CE-C1341B4207A4.jpeg
9E451878-280A-4D64-9BCD-B0FFF1B9FBC1.jpeg
AA0246A7-9D08-428E-B98B-E32E498D4C51.jpeg
8D93E83C-662A-4119-AAEA-D06505EAAB4E.jpeg
77424EBF-876E-43A1-B232-8D2BA10C6F76.jpeg

From Memory Lane...

Up through the ‘50s and into the 60’s Whizzer sold "Specials". The original Special was produced on a Schwinn made "DX" frame, with a Schwinn Springer fork. On the 1951 Special the engine mounts were welded on, the later ones were bolted on. The engine was current production, but the accessories and controls after the early fifties seems to be whatever was laying around on the shelf at the time. Towards the end of the fifties the Cantilever frame was used, and later the Panther frame. There were at least four, and maybe five, generations of the "Whizzer Special". Specials are prized by collectors, especially the ones with 500, and 700 engines. The 500 engine is a 700 but without the sidecover generator, and is slightly more powerful due to not having the drag of the alternator on the camshaft.

The 1951 MB351 Special used a regular bicycle- type (non- cantilever) "DX" frame with welded on engine mounts. It featured heavy- duty wheels with a Whizzer 5" expander brake in the rear. Schwinn’s spring fork was used. The engine is a "300" The Special was painted brilliant red with ivory trim. There is a twist grip throttle and a trigger style compression release.
The 1954 MB715 Special still used the "DX" frame, and the "700" engine, but the engine mounts were the bolt- on type, and a conventional coaster brake was used in place of the 5" Whizzer brake. There is also a Schwinn front expander brake, and the controls are the "H" type levers. By this time Whizzer was building "off the shelf" from existing stocks of parts.
Here is a MB715 1962 Special on a "Wasp" frame. The engine is a 700. The bike is original except for the tires, and is part of the Reg Williams collection.

Keep in mind that the majority of Whizzers were not "Specials" and were put together by dealers or by individuals, or maybe have been remade by now from several bikes, or assembled from pieces (maybe several times), so almost anything is possible.

View attachment 1758013View attachment 1758012

View attachment 1758014
Great story and history. A one color bike makes a good rider because only one color can be powder coated. This is important because a powder coated Whizzer stands up to modern gas and loading and falling type of scratches. It can't be desplayed as an original, but that is not its purpose. In this case fake is practical and it will still look good after 30 years of being knocked around. Powder is like a plastic coat rather than paint. Al Blum came up with this idea, all those years ago, and it made sense to me.

Last edited:
Here’s today’s update! We got the rear fender assembled and mounted along with the rack. We had trouble with our frame spreader, so we were unable to mount the rear wheel. We then proceeded to have no understanding of how our schwinn spring tool works, so we couldn’t install our whizzer spring. We did, however pick out an absolutely stunning 300 engine done by Al Blum many years ago. It should be mounted tomorrow! After much fun wrestling with the Cherry Bomber, we proceeded to fulfill my boyhood dreams of sitting on a Monark Super Twin which may someday be a part of my collection. We dusted it off and fiddled around with it for a while and put it back till spring!View attachment 1758604View attachment 1758605View attachment 1758606View attachment 1758607View attachment 1758608View attachment 1758609
The engine really is stunning. Where do I obtain the valve cover I see on the engine in the picture? My J motor has the flimsy sheet metal cover with internal spring. The one on this engine looks like the thick aluminum one on my 2004 Taiwan Whizzer.

The engine really is stunning. Where do I obtain the valve cover I see on the engine in the picture? My J motor has the flimsy sheet metal cover with internal spring. The one on this engine looks like the thick aluminum one on my 2004 Taiwan Whizzer.
I believe I have a few in stock, I’ll PM you if I do. Very nice as long as they’re not bent.

Here’s today’s update! We got the rear fender assembled and mounted along with the rack. We had trouble with our frame spreader, so we were unable to mount the rear wheel. We then proceeded to have no understanding of how our schwinn spring tool works, so we couldn’t install our whizzer spring. We did, however pick out an absolutely stunning 300 engine done by Al Blum many years ago. It should be mounted tomorrow! After much fun wrestling with the Cherry Bomber, we proceeded to fulfill my boyhood dreams of sitting on a Monark Super Twin which may someday be a part of my collection. We dusted it off and fiddled around with it for a while and put it back till spring!View attachment 1758604View attachment 1758605View attachment 1758606View attachment 1758607View attachment 1758608View attachment 1758609
Gotta love that originality!

Back