When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Start them early ?

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
I’m trying to subtly brainwash him into enjoying bicycles as much as I do.

Any success stories of kids (or grown children) who don’t resent bikes and in fact embrace them?

130ef643be175960c9b20d589772d2c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad and I found a 24 inch dx in great condition all complete on the curb when I was like 11. I ended up riding it alot and liked it and saw how the old bikes were rare and looked cooler than the new bikes. Now I have 6 (usually more) bike fleet of balloners, 4 prewar, 2 postwar.

You have to bring the generations along! Here is No. 1 grandson looking a bit large for a 16" bike (note the sissy bar modified to allow a parent or grandparent to provide support without back injury). So grandpa cobbled up a bike with a repainted 20" frame and an 18" wheel set (the fork required modest modification of the dropouts to get the front brake to reach the rim). Grandson decorated the frame with stickers and was off and riding.
aaden16.JPG

aaden181.JPG

aaden182.JPG

I’m trying to subtly brainwash him into enjoying bicycles as much as I do.

Any success stories of kids (or grown children) who don’t resent bikes and in fact embrace them?

View attachment 1021599

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharing your enthusiasm and joy for collecting bicycles is most important. Your son/grandson will key into that and pretty soon be asking to build his/her own bike up...
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/‘53-black-panther.140597/

Have fun!

Back