When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steel frame repair

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I recently had a bike in the shop with a freeze burst on the right fork blade. I refused to repair the bike for his grand-kid and he got all pissy so I told him to leave and never come back. He had always been a PITA customer anyway and argued about small necessary repairs needed, etc.

1540776997020.png

Looks like a simple braze job to me . If the local bike shop can't help hit up the nearest muffler shop.
As for forks, I have over 200 used forks from all the bikes I've stripped thru the years.
However most bikes aren't worth the cost to replace the fork and most people won't pay the cost.

The fork shown with the tape reminded me of my own Murray space bike, as it came to me, with 1970's 3M reflective tape on the seat stays.
Murray 62.JPG
And the original post professes that the crack is an infinitesimal 1/4" long, (that's zero point something).
So, another alternative may be to apply preservative (primer) and finish (paint) in any color as desired (e.g., not brown), and then apply thin (in mils) pressure sensitive adhesive reflective tape, perhaps sold in 1" wide rolls in a few different colors. This could be done neatly and would not detract from the inherent beauty of a space-age bike. If one paid attention or measured, they could tape both stays to evenly match. Thin tape is fairly flexible too.
The method of taping-and-then-painting is not recommended.

Last edited:
freeze crack? it is sometimes a good thing to live in California. a guy could weld that up in 30 seconds. find someone with a welder. I've welded simple stuff like that for 10 bucks on more than one occasion.

Back