When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Steer Horn" and similar handlebars on Schwinns

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
7881 is my all-time favorite. You can definitely find them from 1967 to 1977

These are found on BREEZE, SPEEDSTER, COLLEGIATE, & SUBURBAN models.
All that I have seen do have the year stamped to the right of the number 7881.
Example: 7881-67 denotes 1967, and 7881-75 denotes 1975, and 7881-71 is 1971.........etc...

I use these ancient 7881 handlebars on nearly all my projects.
Extremely comfortable and because millions of Schwinns bicycles were made with them, just before and through the Bike Boom of the early Seventies, there is no shortage of these 7881 bars in excellent condition. Even a 50 year old 7881 handlebar from 1971 in average condition is far nicer to anything one can purchase new today. Schwinn chrome of the late sixties going through the mid seventies was the best in the bicycle industry, and those 7881 bars are in my opinion, the most comfortable tourist handlebars that anyone ever offered. That is why that I install them on brand new Walmart/Target bikes (did that for neighbors' with new low priced Huffy Cranbrooks, and Del Lusso, & " PacificCycleschwinn" Admiral, and Gateway, and other Chinese big-box discount store cheapies. I have also converted many old Schwinn Varsities & Continentals, as well as some Sport Collegiates and Le Tours to UPRIGHT TOURIST RIDERS with 7881 bars and the WEINMANN tourist levers commonly used in the sixties and seventies (red dot Eyepoker, Red dot ball end, Gold dot....etc Doesn't matter which you do choose to use as functionality is exactly the same as long as the are the common 22.2mm for the 7/8" outer bar diameter )
I have converted hundreds of ordinary FREE SPIRIT 10 speeds with these 7881 bars. Many other makes also.
I have also used these 7881 bars on many typical ordinary bicycles from the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's , 1960's ,and 1970's as you can see that I do think they are better in both comfort , quality, and overall appearance. I am never concerned as to whether something is ' CORRECT ' -----------my only concern is in my opinion does it IMPROVE the bicycle.
Pedals and seats are another thing that I don't hesitate to change if I deem that a change is necessary.
You might want to know that the SCHWINN comfort GRIPS that were found on SEVENTIES era Suburbans and Collegiates are the best ones that Schwinn offered.........Almost all of them are Black in color and you can determine them from ordinary grips based on the visible empty space, pocket when viewed up close from near the grip's end.. These are really comfortable traditional look handlebar grips.

So I gather the 7881 northroad most likely replaced the 7819 northroad for 1967?

A posting on worthpoint of a closed ebay auction says:
SCHWINN HANDLEBAR - Up for sale is a vintage 1966 Schwinn Middleweight handlebar. Stamped 7819-66. Removed from a 26" wheel Schwinn.- The original Chrome has some pitting and scratches. The bar is straight. No cracks. Measures approximately 22" wide. Check out the photos.- Any questions please ask.For more classic parts and bikes, see my other listings and eBay store.
The existence of a 7819 bar stamped 66 seems to support that idea. There was a picture of the stamp, but it does not link well.

It also appears that the 7881 has more rise than the 7819. Is that the case? Coasterbrakejunkie1969 said:

On my '59 Corvette I put a later '70s version with the higher rise then the original I think what I have on there is a 5" and it came with a 2" rise.

View attachment 1420978

Those look like 7881, and late 1970s suggests they would be. Waterford's 1959 catalog scan says the originals would have been 7819.

1959_05.jpg

Last edited:
My bad on the gooseneck nomenclature, thought that was a typical descriptor for the Northroad, but GTs58 is was more knowledgeable in these areas, I’m still a newbie learning:).

Bloo, you are correct. When the lightweights really started gaining popularity in the mid 60's Schwinn pretty much phased out the old style Northroad bars #7819 that were used on most of the middleweights and lightweight Tourist models replacing them with the higher rise #7881 bars. The transition started in 1967 where some models had the #7881 bars but most of lightweights and a few middleweights still had the #7819 bars. I'm pretty sure by 1968 the #7819's were totally gone.
The paperboy bars shown on @Chris 's Wasp were described as Boxed End bars where all the bends were at right angles.

Wow, the 872 sure has changed. Those are really long. Today the 872 is the shortest and narrowest of their 3 swept back or steer horn style offerings, 24 inches wide according to the catalog. I saw one at the LBS, and it is definitely on the small side.

Getting back to Schwinn steer horns for a minute....

Look at this 1939 Spitfire, those are looooooong.....

1623964171102-png.png

Thread is here:

And this 1941 DX, looks like it has the same ones:

20210617_113158-jpg.jpg

Thread is here:

And after the war, there is this early 50s Panther. Look at how much bar comes after the grip:

blackpan-jpg.jpg

Thread here:

51 Phantom:

img_20210617_183223751-jpg.jpg

Thread:

But then......

We know from the 1959 catalog that the Schwinns that still had steer horns, like Wasp, Speedster, etc. used #7800.

1959 Speedster. Probably 7800? looks shorter doesn't it? Maybe not quite as short(?) as the 7884 that comes on a mid 60s Heavy Duty King Size:

00d0d_fbaypvcqncf_1200x900-jpg.jpg

Thread here:

Ebay 1960(?) Speedster:

intage-1960-Schwinn-Speedster-26-Mens-Bike-Bicycle.jpg

And rollfaster's 61 speedster:

ad010a22-9592-44e5-9896-64c2ae2d5ab7-jpeg.jpg

Thread:

These last three all look shorter to me. All seem to have Schwinn grips, and look how much bar is not covered by the grip before it gets to the bend. Is this just an optical illusion? Are they all #7800? Or did Schwinn have a third longer type in the years prior to the publication of that 1959 catalog? If they aren't #7800, what are they?

I have to assume that the post war Schwinn's had a limited choice of components compared to the prewar times. There were more model choices post war so more parts needed and the place to store the parts could be one reason for limiting optional equipment. As far as the handlebars go, it looks like there were more options before post war times. Here's a copy of the 1940 parts list on handlebars.

1624088182850.png

Ok, so in 1940 there's a bazillion bars (that's quite a list!), but in unbraced steer horns we have:

814 (2588) 26x8
815 (2589) 28x10
816 (2590) 30x12
(second number is just the version wired for horn)

Maybe a long postwar version on early Phantoms and stuff? Possibly equivalent to prewar 815? The pictures suggest it but maybe it is an illusion.

_____ 28? x 10?

and in 1962 (plus the 1959 catalog) :

7800 26x8

and in 1964-65 as seen on Heavy Duty American and the Heavy-Duti:

7884 (?? probably a little shorter yet?)

@coasterbrakejunkie1969 measured these at 27 end to end, and I wonder if Schwinn measured bars center to center, if they did, that makes them 26x7? He also measured a similar bar from the 80s, shorter grip area, same overall width (all in his post on page 1). That leaves us one more version with an unknown part number.

____ (1980s steer horn)

One might guess that 814 and 7800 are the same thing, but unfortunately Schwinn apparently didn't give us a rise measurement, stem to grip, on any of these.

It sure looks like early Hornet, Phantom, etc is longer than the 7800 on circa 1959-60 Wasp, Speedster, 59 Phantom, etc..

Back