When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steer Tube Straightening Idea With Home Items I Might Have

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Dougfisk hit the nail on the head. Somewhere buried in this thread is "fork straightening by using a fork jack."
This is the only safe and sure way to straighten a fork. If you attempt to put a large pipe over the fork to bend it back a fair amount of pressure is directed at the top of the fork where the threads are open and the area is weak. the rest at the end of your pipe. The results can be the threaded end ending up bent in and the bottom end having yet another bend in addition to the original problem. When one tries to correct it the fork kinks.
If that fork were mine I would install in the bike frame and use the jack to bend it to the correct spot. Running it into a wall may sometimes work but you have no control. One runs the risk of: Over-bending it. ...Knocking one fork leg further back the the other...... wrecking a rim......putting black tire marks on your wall:).
The steering tube will still always have that kink but will look ok and function well on your bike .

The reason the fork jack works every time with perfect results is your fork is being straightened within the confines of the bike's headtube that it was bent back in the first place. So.... do you have an old car jack? Everyone has a wall to run into;) don't make your fork worse......or you will end up cutting the steering tube off and welding a new tube taken from another fork on as shown on the last photo.
006.JPG
009.JPG
179493-3883b1f29efcba95c6ddac3ff657d5ad.jpg

Last edited:
So even though its axis of bending isnt at the crown where the bottom of the head tube meets (just about) youre saying straightening my guide of the head tube is still best? I figured because the bend is near 2 inches up from the crown then the frame wont be a true guide. If that makes sense.

Doug has a fork tool though i think! Also home made tools. He brought my shelby fork back from 6 ft under !

Right doug? :)

Dougfisk hit the nail on the head. Somewhere buried in these this thread is "fork straightening by using a fork jack."
This is the only safe and sure way to straighten a fork. If you attempt to put a large pipe over the fork to bend it back a fair amount of pressure is directed at the top of the fork where the threads are open and the area is weak. the rest at the end of your pipe. The results can be the threaded end ending up bent in and the but bottom end having yet another bend in addition to the original problem. When one tries to correct it the fork kinks.
If that fork were mine I would install in the bike frame and use the jack to bend it to the correct spot. Running it into a wall may sometimes work but you have no control. One runs the risk of: Over-bending it. ...Knocking one fork leg further back the the other...... wrecking a rim......putting black tire marks on your wall:).
The steering tube will still always have that kink but will look ok and function well on your bike .

The reason the fork jack works every time with perfect results is your fork is being straightened within the confines of the bike's headtube that it was bent back in the first place. So.... do you have an old car jack? Everyone has a wall to run into;) don't make your fork worse......or you will end up cutting the steering tube off and welding a new tube taken from another fork on as shown on the last photo. View attachment 318283 View attachment 318284 View attachment 318285
Nice tire iron.lol

I agree with this "the frame wont be a true guide." You may just end up bending the fork legs or making another bend in the fork steerer.

A close fitting pipe over the steerer should not apply deforming pressure to the threaded area.

fork is all fixed, Doug is the best! :) thanks doug!!

So what was the repair method? A snug fitting tube inside the steer tube, a little torching and some pressure pushing down the tube inside?

That's very cool. After talking about it the other night it makes total sense with the pictures.

Back