When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel

-
Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd ask if any of you guys remember the old Huffy 20" bikes that had the banana seat, high sissy bar and steering wheel? I had a neighbor that got one of those for Christmas I THINK of 69, maybe later, and she was the envy of the neighborhood. If she let you ride it down the street, that was a privilege. I rode it once and didn't much care for that steering wheel, but it still looked cool. This is identical to the one that Nita got. I never understood why her daddy got her a boys bike, but it was still cool. This one looks to me like the wheel is turned in the wrong direction because the forks are facing the wrong direction for the photo! LOL

View attachment 983589
Back then there was a kid we knew who got one of those bikes...he was spoiled rotten, other kids didn't like him so he got "clotheslined" we called it.
He would go flying down this alley so kids tied a rope on a telephone pole about 5ft up. When he went through kids yanked on it catching him in the neck. He actually looped around...lucky they didn't kill him.
I wasn't involved... I watched though.
Since he didn't get hurt too bad it was funny. [emoji16]

Sent from my Bell candlestick

Early example in the evolution of the steering wheel bicycle :cool:

20171105_093221.jpg

Back