When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stewart Warner Speedometer?????????????

-
HEYYYYYY! Its been a year and I havent found someone to re-screen my Rollfast speedo face? Anyone wanna make some money?Or does anyone have the decal to sell??

I am wondering if anyone positively knows how to remove the needle from a Stewart Warner Clipper speedo. I’ve gotten the bezel and glass off, and now just need to get the needle and faceplate off safely so that I can start cleaning the innards.
96DDB8F9-06FF-4DB9-86CC-F7F46CF5646E.jpeg

I am wondering if anyone positively knows how to remove the needle from a Stewart Warner Clipper speedo. I’ve gotten the bezel and glass off, and now just need to get the needle and faceplate off safely so that I can start cleaning the innards.View attachment 1058032
Have you checked other threads? I recall seeing one that a Caber made a puller so he could pull it straight up. Please double or triple check first. It would suck if you broke the needle based on what I just said.

Thanks for the response, but I didn’t see any reference to a puller except the small one mentioned above in this thread, but that wasn’t for the needle. As a matter of fact, I don’t know what a puller would use to push against because there isn’t a small “axle” to push against. I think it is just slightly corroded onto the shaft, but I want to make sure first.

Original Stewart Warner literature from 1936 for a similar speedometer (the Professional model) says:
"To remove the pointer turn it beyond the stop with the fingers, and as you turn exert an upward pull, which causes the pointer to come off easily, without damaging the mechanism."
On other speedometers I've heard to simply lift up on the needle, or perhaps use a forked tool under it. It probably goes without saying, but any way you approach it be very gentle and exert the most force closest to the pin the needle is mounted to and where the needle is strongest.

I use 2 very small flat head screw drivers on each side resting on the edge of the speedo body and pry upward slowly/gently simultaneously. The needle will pop right off. Be sure to apply equal pressure upward on each side.

Back