When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stewart Warner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
T

thicket11

I was wondering if anyone had blow-up diagrams of the Stewart Warner 1940's floating hub. I was considering purchasing one but wanted to see how they worked. Also, can anyone can offer advice as to the worth of a used hub of this type?

Thanks

price, I don't know, but they work pretty well and are a great accessory on any bike of it's era. they are a torsional spring in an offset hub that winds up the spring as it flexes. the center of the hub is stationary and the outer part pivots. this may not be a good description but they are very simple and work well. I had thought about getting one for my Fleetwood since it didn't come with a spring fork. I still may. I don't have any photos or catalogs, sorry.
Scott:cool:

Thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures you posted of your fleetwood. I'll consider the hubs.

Well, I just tried for the cheaper one and it's up to about 120. I was a bit disappointed but what are you going to do, I don't need it that bad.

Fleetwood, what kind of paint do you use for restoration.

on the fleetwood I used Duplicolor. they had a shade which matched the original exactly. on the blue Firestone Pilot I used Wal-Mart rattle cans, again it matched the original color exactly as can be seen by the original paint fenders. if you take your time and propperly prepare the stuff rattle cans work great. paint is paint I guess.
Scott:cool:

True enough. I recently painted a frame with rattle cans, I sandblasted it, put several coats of primer on it, then several main coats (with sanding in between) followed by several clear coats. It looked great, however, it scratches really easily. It was a bit colder than it should have been when I painted it (in the 50's) but I don't know what I can do to make it a more durable finish. It was definately economical.

Back