When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still having trouble with a 1899 Columbia Chainless.

-
As a Wheelmen member myself, I couldn’t agree more about the benefits of joining for those who have yet to do so. In the event you run into trouble Marty, I can get you some high resolution images of the posted illustration (the booklet in question is a couple hours away at my parents house though, so I’m not sure when I’ll be able to do it).

-Lester
Hey thanks. Yes please when you have an opportunity I'd appreciate images and photocopies of all the booklet pages. I will reimburse you. Marty Potts

Hi Marty, as the originator of this thread I wanted to chime in.
First I must say that I could not agree more the Wheelmen is a great club and I think you will enjoy being a member as we have.
Second you are on the right track talking to Bill, he and the library are great sources of information.
Now for the bad news when I posted this thread I had a matching pair or restored Columbia 59 s. One men’s one woman’s. I did not restore them but I did work on them when they gave us trouble. In fact many people looked at them when they gave us trouble. After numerous attempts to make the drive system actually work as designed we finally gave up. As I mentioned in the original post the rear gear kept backing off when applying back pedal pressure. I reviewed the diagram and assembled the rear hubs accordingly. There were no broken or missing pieces and yet the gear on the hub backed off on both bikes nurmous times. I wish you better luck on your project, but as for me and my wife we have sworn off riding chainless models.

Dear Ed, I finally got my 1899 Columbia assembled. I have not had any trouble with the rear wheel hub gear un-threading on any of the 4 chainless bikes I have. It's been several years since I assembled that part of this bike I can't remember anything special I did. I've attached a copy of the original page from Columbia's "adjustment" brochure. The only thing I can suggest is to use red "lock-tite" on the threads. Sorry I didn't see your post until today 4/1/2019. Marty Potts
1554140831976.png

Dear Ed, I finally got my 1899 Columbia assembled. I have not had any trouble with the rear wheel hub gear un-threading on any of the 4 chainless bikes I have. It's been several years since I assembled that part of this bike I can't remember anything special I did. I've attached a copy of the original page from Columbia's "adjustment" brochure. The only thing I can suggest is to use red "lock-tite" on the threads. Sorry I didn't see your post until today 4/1/2019. Marty Potts
View attachment 973992
Ed, Guess I'll have to follow my own suggestion about red lock-tite on the hub gear. Mine came loose today!! Marty

I am so sorry you are struggling with the same issue. Some one suggested to me to drill a hole and drive a pin in but I wasn’t willing to change the design to make it work. You could try that.

Back