When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sting ray checker mirror real or fake?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The H-bar clamp could have been changed or Yes, someone could have replaced the foil Sting-ray decal.
After my post I went and looked very closely and compared the two mirrors, observing the swivel part that attaches to the mirror but it's a very close replication. Very hard to tell any difference between them. They produced these for many years, so there is going to be some variations in the originals too.
As for the paper sticker, the early Schwinn Sting-ray Racing Mirror had a bend in the attachment arm and the Sting-ray was on a white paper background with Red text.
See attached photo, from a 1970 Schwinn Catalog:
*Notice placement of decal. I've only ever see one of this style.

View attachment 1179487
Wow that's so cool I really want to thank you again for all of your knowledge on this topic and i truly appreciate your time. -Thomas

Glad you were able to get some direction on this. Also, there are the period Bike Pals mirrors that have a smaller (finer) checkerboard than the Schwinn ones and they have a similar chrome decal. I believe those were also made in Japan. Later (mid 2000s) Electra also made a checkerboard mirror but those have very large squares and are not mistaken for vintage.

I also like your bench toys, @kasper!

I have something similar:
thumbnail_IMG_1612.jpg

And then in front of the bench:
thumbnail_IMG_1613.jpg

Glad you were able to get some direction on this. Also, there are the period Bike Pals mirrors that have a smaller (finer) checkerboard than the Schwinn ones and they have a similar chrome decal. I believe those were also made in Japan. Later (mid 2000s) Electra also made a checkerboard mirror but those have very large squares and are not mistaken for vintage.

I also like your bench toys, @kasper!

I have something similar:
View attachment 1184305

And then in front of the bench:
View attachment 1184306
That in front of the bench picture is making me salivate. THAT WHITE SUPRA..........

Back