When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

StingRay oddities I have seen

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oldbikeguy1960

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The debate on black Stingrays got me thinking on a few oddities I have seen, which I attribute to warranty claims.
Both bikes were for sale on eBay, and I contacted the sellers to question them since they should not have existed.
The first was a 1974 Cotton Picker. (Not a typo). Schwinn says they did not paint any Stingrays white after 1971. But the bike was white, and looked like it had been stored in a rotting garage for 40+ years. Scratches almost outnumbered the paint, had all the evidence of being thrashed to within an inch of its life. The guy didn't try to make up some wild story, he said he bought the bike to restore but has too many and it was going to a new home. It was actually very reasonably priced so he wasn't trying to sell the only 1974 Cotton Picker on the planet. I spoke to a friend that worked at the local Schwinn dealer from the 1970s until they closed in the1990s, and he told me something I believe emails the bike and for all intents and purposes verifies it as well.
As bad as it looked, it was conceivable that it was the victim of a broken frame. If the frame broke in 1974, the Schwinn dealer would put in a warranty order and the factory would send out a replacement frame in the correct color, but it would've been dated 1974 since the order came out of production frames.
The same answer explains the patina of the 1978 Pea Picker I saw another time, that seller believed but did not claim that it was a warranty bike as well.
I know there are others who may have seen similar bikes. That is why I posted this thread. I know some debate will occur as to the validity of my belief on these frames, that is your right. However, I do not expect the kind of attacks that just occurred on the Black Stingray thread. If you cannot respond in a civil and respectful manner it is my humble request that you move on, there is nothing to see here.
In the words of Mohammed Ali, "Can't we all just get along"?
Thanks, Rob

Oh, I looked at my profile page. Still on training wheels. Hahahaha.
In the real world I never had training wheels, my dad taught me to ride a 26" men's bike at 5 years old. My tippy toes couldn't both touch the ground at the same. Needless to say the first couple times hurt, but it made me learn to ride quickly. So he stick me on a girl's 26" ballooned which was much more embarrassing.
When I was 10 we lived on a farm, he had a ton of bike parts. There was a purple StingRay, but for some reason he would not let me have it. Still don't have one unless you count the frame someone sandblasted, but missed the fork stem and a spot on the bottom bracket.

Those are very interesting stories and the bikes would be highly prized for their rarity. I would imagine there are a few more stories like those. Schwinn did however produce a white Stingray in 1976 not that has anything to do with the '74 picker
I do not expect the kind of attacks that just occurred on the Black Stingray thread.

No one was attacked. Some have chosen not to get along, Sorry Cassius . They took their toys and went home when everybody didn't want to play by their rules.

Oddities are in everything manufactured. Sometimes things happen during production to create an oddity. I’ve had cars, trucks, vans an bikes that were not supposed to be the way they were yet they actually came from the factory that way.
I have what was once a purple Stingray Deluxe. It is a 1967. I rode the heck out of it and it showed. I recently had it sandblasted in preparation to restore it. I deliberately had them not sandblast the fork stem so that it retained the original color. One day it will look like it did when I rode it out the door if that Schwinn dealer in 1967 when I was 9 years old, a gift from my uncle who passed away in 1974.

I have a friend who used to have an extensive Sting-ray collection and he had a n.o.s. Coppertone Fastback frame that was date stamped '74 on the headtube. It was in a Schwinn box with the paper label intact. I'm sure it was a warranty frame to replace one that cracked.

Last edited:
Those are very interesting stories and the bikes would be highly prized for their rarity. I would imagine there are a few more stories like those. Schwinn did however produce a white Stingray in 1976 not that has anything to do with the '74 picker

No one was attacked. Some have chosen not to get along, Sorry Cassius . They took their toys and went home when everybody didn't want to play by their rules.
Yes, the Bicentennial bike. The 5 speed version was my favorite, too bad the Stik Shift was gone by then. That would've been an awesome bike.

I had seen one member post that the thread was dangerously close to being locked, I figured that qualified as attacks. One member said another told him to STFU so he didn't need to respond to his posts. Glad it wasn't as serious as I thought.

Here is one I owned back in high school 1974. It was a late 1971 Disc Brake Orange Krate. I remember that because I had the serial number written down for years (lost a long time ago) because it was stolen 3 times. I recovered it mostly intact twice but not the 3rd time.
The hub was dated 6-71, I wish I had the rest of the info I used to have on it, the was most of my life ago. I have owned one other 6-71 hub about 10 years ago and saw one on eBay last summer.

I had seen one member post that the thread was dangerously close to being locked, I figured that qualified as attacks. One member said another told him to STFU so he didn't need to respond to his posts. Glad it wasn't as serious as I thought.

It wasn't very serious at all. 🤣 And I did not tell him to STFU. He was asked by the threads originator to not post in his thread any longer so after he continued I reminded him of that request, and then said "so maybe it's time for you to STFU." It was a suggestion. 😉

By the way, welcome to the Cabe!

Back