When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stingray re-issue(?), CT

-

Allrounderco

I live for the CABE
I'm assuming this is one of the 1990's reproductions, based on what looks like an alloy quill stem. I know little enough about the original 'Ray and Krate bikes, let alone the later ones. I know enough to see that this would be a good price for an original, and I'm assuming a bit of a premium for a re-issue, but school me. This wouldn't be for me, but to hang on to for my kids (who probably won't care for it anyway). I try not to do that kind of thing, but if I saw the chance to get an original for this price, I'd bend my rule.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwinn-stingray/6730600892.html

00X0X_lTvpjZTVOb7_1200x900.jpg

Blackbomber, I know nothing about the reissues and not that much about the original stingrays so I can't help you much. I wanted to buy my grandson an original stingray but he wasn't interested when I asked him about it. So I bought an inexpensive '79 model that looks pretty good for myself just because I like them. Well as soon as he saw it he fell in love with it and hasn't ridden anything else since. Sometimes the young ones surprise you. Your kids may surprise you too.

Thank you both.

Rockman, what I’m taking from your experience is that I should spend more and get an original. I’ll be happier either way. And that’s not me paraphrasing what you said, that’s me applying your story to my own way of thinking. My oldest is not even four, so there is no urgency.

Nevertheless, I probably would still buy that bike if it were at a tag sale (r.e:impulse), and at a tag sale price. At $150, I’d better love it, because old bikes just don’t sell where I live. I paid $50 for my ‘68 Speedster, and with new rubber, have double that in it. It would be a long wait if I wanted to even get my original $50 back. But no matter, because I’ve been putting about 30 miles a week on it, and enjoy the bike.

Thank you both.

Rockman, what I’m taking from your experience is that I should spend more and get an original. I’ll be happier either way. And that’s not me paraphrasing what you said, that’s me applying your story to my own way of thinking. My oldest is not even four, so there is no urgency.

Nevertheless, I probably would still buy that bike if it were at a tag sale (r.e:impulse), and at a tag sale price. At $150, I’d better love it, because old bikes just don’t sell where I live. I paid $50 for my ‘68 Speedster, and with new rubber, have double that in it. It would be a long wait if I wanted to even get my original $50 back. But no matter, because I’ve been putting about 30 miles a week on it, and enjoy the bike.

I think that would be a great idea to wait and find an original that works for you. I'm still waiting for the right 60's model to come my way. I also forgot to mention that after my grandson got his bike (he was 8 years old at the time, 9 now) my girlfriend's granddaughter was feeling left out because she didn't have a vintage bike. As luck would have it a '66 girls stingray popped up for sale and I got it for her. She loves it just as much as my grandson loves his. They ride nothing else.

From my perspective I buy a bike for the love of the bike and what i see in it. I don't ever really expect to get any money back out of them and if I ever do it would surprise me if I made a profit. I do have a few expensive vintage bikes that should always be worth something but I don't think I will ever sell them. I love their history and enjoy the experience of just riding them and sometimes just looking at them.

Well now I know all I think I need to about this particular bike. Thanks to all!

@Rockman9:
...From my perspective I buy a bike for the love of the bike and what i see in it. I don't ever really expect to get any money back out of them and if I ever do it would surprise me if I made a profit. I do have a few expensive vintage bikes that should always be worth something but I don't think I will ever sell them. I love their history and enjoy the experience of just riding them and sometimes just looking at them.
When I think about it, I'm right there with you. Reacting to this bike would have been an impulse. And like almost all impulse purchases, there would be an accompanying regret. My local Goodwill sees a steady stream of my regrets...

Back