Stingray re-issue(?), CT

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Blackbomber

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Aug 23, 2018
Unionville, CT
I'm assuming this is one of the 1990's reproductions, based on what looks like an alloy quill stem. I know little enough about the original 'Ray and Krate bikes, let alone the later ones. I know enough to see that this would be a good price for an original, and I'm assuming a bit of a premium for a re-issue, but school me. This wouldn't be for me, but to hang on to for my kids (who probably won't care for it anyway). I try not to do that kind of thing, but if I saw the chance to get an original for this price, I'd bend my rule.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwinn-stingray/6730600892.html

00X0X_lTvpjZTVOb7_1200x900.jpg

Rockman9

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 28, 2017
Fort Worth, TX, United States
Blackbomber, I know nothing about the reissues and not that much about the original stingrays so I can't help you much. I wanted to buy my grandson an original stingray but he wasn't interested when I asked him about it. So I bought an inexpensive '79 model that looks pretty good for myself just because I like them. Well as soon as he saw it he fell in love with it and hasn't ridden anything else since. Sometimes the young ones surprise you. Your kids may surprise you too.

Reactions: Blackbomber

Blackbomber

Aug 23, 2018
Unionville, CT
Thank you both.

Rockman, what I’m taking from your experience is that I should spend more and get an original. I’ll be happier either way. And that’s not me paraphrasing what you said, that’s me applying your story to my own way of thinking. My oldest is not even four, so there is no urgency.

Nevertheless, I probably would still buy that bike if it were at a tag sale (r.e:impulse), and at a tag sale price. At $150, I’d better love it, because old bikes just don’t sell where I live. I paid $50 for my ‘68 Speedster, and with new rubber, have double that in it. It would be a long wait if I wanted to even get my original $50 back. But no matter, because I’ve been putting about 30 miles a week on it, and enjoy the bike.

Rockman9

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Worth, TX, United States
Thank you both.

Rockman, what I’m taking from your experience is that I should spend more and get an original. I’ll be happier either way. And that’s not me paraphrasing what you said, that’s me applying your story to my own way of thinking. My oldest is not even four, so there is no urgency.

Nevertheless, I probably would still buy that bike if it were at a tag sale (r.e:impulse), and at a tag sale price. At $150, I’d better love it, because old bikes just don’t sell where I live. I paid $50 for my ‘68 Speedster, and with new rubber, have double that in it. It would be a long wait if I wanted to even get my original $50 back. But no matter, because I’ve been putting about 30 miles a week on it, and enjoy the bike.
I think that would be a great idea to wait and find an original that works for you. I'm still waiting for the right 60's model to come my way. I also forgot to mention that after my grandson got his bike (he was 8 years old at the time, 9 now) my girlfriend's granddaughter was feeling left out because she didn't have a vintage bike. As luck would have it a '66 girls stingray popped up for sale and I got it for her. She loves it just as much as my grandson loves his. They ride nothing else.

From my perspective I buy a bike for the love of the bike and what i see in it. I don't ever really expect to get any money back out of them and if I ever do it would surprise me if I made a profit. I do have a few expensive vintage bikes that should always be worth something but I don't think I will ever sell them. I love their history and enjoy the experience of just riding them and sometimes just looking at them.

ratina

Dec 21, 2009
Westmont, IL
That's a Walmart "Black Friday Krate" as they were dubbed. Came out around 2008 I think

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Yep, Walmart Ray, and I believe they were like 80 bucks new in the box.

Blackbomber

Aug 23, 2018
Unionville, CT
Well now I know all I think I need to about this particular bike. Thanks to all!

@Rockman9:
...From my perspective I buy a bike for the love of the bike and what i see in it. I don't ever really expect to get any money back out of them and if I ever do it would surprise me if I made a profit. I do have a few expensive vintage bikes that should always be worth something but I don't think I will ever sell them. I love their history and enjoy the experience of just riding them and sometimes just looking at them.
When I think about it, I'm right there with you. Reacting to this bike would have been an impulse. And like almost all impulse purchases, there would be an accompanying regret. My local Goodwill sees a steady stream of my regrets...

Reactions: Rockman9
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
Well now I know all I think I need to about this particular bike. Thanks to all!

@Rockman9:

When I think about it, I'm right there with you. Reacting to this bike would have been an impulse. And like almost all impulse purchases, there would be an accompanying regret. My local Goodwill sees a steady stream of my regrets...
Yup,take a deep breath and let the urge pass.You will feel better in the morning. lol

jimsbeercans

Feb 3, 2012
Columbus Ohio
www.angelfire.com
I bought a few of these in the past. Rear rims were bent straight out of the box and hardly a drop of grease anywhere..After a few weeks putting it around, the crank bearing fell apart. So the next one just a full lube and was happy with it.

Reactions: Rockman9
This ad goes away when you register for an account!