When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stingray tire date by font

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm wondering if anyone can clear up a question as to when the font of the lettering on Schwinn tires changed. Specifically the Stingray slik and knobby tires. I have a few dated carlisle tires and the code does not distinguish between decades. The same 2 digit code used thru the '60s and '70s for example 8-4 August '64 or '74. The font seems to have changed from the larger to smaller some time in the early '70s maybe '75 with the change to the Stingray chain guard? I have a few examples of the different fonts. I would be interested to see an original from '72 thru '76. Any information on this would be of great help to many members.The first 2 pics are a 10-6 dated tire with large font thinking 1966 ,next is a 8-2 large font being no slik in '62 has to be a '72, next is an 11-7 dated knobby with small font I'm guessing '77, and the last 2 are a 7-0 dated knobby guessing '70 but could be '80. Did they make both tires in '80?

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

65-67 Standard Stingray boys used the Yellow Oval Slik, then in 67 it was dropped for the larger SLIK font. In 68-9 they went to the smaller SLIK font.

Other ways to date the tires beyond the codes are the presence of mold lines which typically mean the tire is not 60's, but is 70's or newer. As well, you just need to stop and think, was the tire even available? For example, you won't see a 61 front Krate Superior tire, but you will see a 71

Hope this helps

Back