When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Schwinn Excelsior rider.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
3 or 4 years ago I took my road bike to an Antique flea market on main street with 50 or more garage sales in the adjoining neighborhood. you really need a bike to hit all the garage sales. I thought I would lock it up on main street and walk the antiques, part. I was probably 50 feet away when I just turned around and said no way. I could not enjoy the Antiques while wondering the whole time if the bike I bought 35 years before would still be there when I got back. it would be like someone stealing my dog. had a little light cable lock that time... just keep the honest folks from stealing. my emergency lock in case I need to go in a 7-11 or something on a ride.

took my mountain bike to a different event some time after that and locked it with the two locks I spent big bucks for when I had a motorcycle and worked in Oakland. big fat cable lock and a Kryptonite U-lock.

leaving my bikes unattended is a rare occasion for me.

Yep,
The criminal is the sympathetic victim and the law abiding are the scoundrels.
What happened to our society?
The song says, “Teach your children well”.
Not, “Do unto others and then split.“

I had a restored postwar Schwinn straightbar stolen about 10 years ago. About a month after that I saw a kid riding it. Started talking to the kid and met his dad to ask where he got it. Bought it at a local swap meet for cheap. Told them it was stolen from me a month previously and showed them the police report with the serial number on it. They gave the bike back to me. Pretty cool family to do that, so I gave them another bike I had as a thanks for the trouble.

Doesn't happen often, but there is always hope that the bike will come back home safe and sound.

That sucks! I will keep an eye open for it on the boardwalk for sure. It has always been my policy to not bring a lock, that forces me to keep my eye on my bike. Even if it’s locked and they can’t cut it someone with the screwdriver and a wrench can pull a tank or other items in a couple of seconds.

Every bike I build I shove a business card down the seat post tube as far as I can, a bike and get blown apart, repainted and re-branded and that card will still be there, and all you need is a coat hanger to get it out if you need to confront its new owner in front of the police.

My best friend (who knows vintage Schwinns) lives on 40th so I’ll ask him to be on the lookout too. I hope someone spots the bike. Karma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bump. Staying hopeful....

I had a car stolen once outside my place while I was sleeping... told all my friends "well. it could have been worse, I could have caught them" ... no telling what the outcome of that would have been since as we all know, thieves have rights, victims have none.
The legal system is run by lawyers. Putting thieves in jail doesn't help the lawyers, it just costs the state money to feed and house them. On the other hand, if you use "excessive force", then you may have enough wealth to be worth a lawsuit. I shouldn't say this but it's true: if you catch a thief, you're better off not calling the police.

Back