When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Story Time! Your best score

-
Yeah, Wes, I tip my hat to you sir! I'm still chasing my dream of finding a Phantom in a barn, basement,building or shed one of these days! I've wanted a Phantom for years and I have never came close, I can buy one all day but I want to find my own covered in dirt and dust waiting for me, the only problem is Kentucky was a rather poor state so not many Schwinn bikes are out there, mostly bikes that were sold at Sears, Western Auto or JC Penney's, I've found a few Schwinns that were sold by Thornberry Scwinn Cyclery but not anything rare, one day maybe! I still hold hope

Aaron

Yeah, Wes, I tip my hat to you sir! I'm still chasing my dream of finding a Phantom in a barn, basement,building or shed one of these days! I've wanted a Phantom for years and I have never came close, I can buy one all day but I want to find my own covered in dirt and dust waiting for me, the only problem is Kentucky was a rather poor state so not many Schwinn bikes are out there, mostly bikes that were sold at Sears, Western Auto or JC Penney's, I've found a few Schwinns that were sold by Thornberry Scwinn Cyclery but not anything rare, one day maybe! I still hold hope

Aaron
NEVER GIVE UP!
SOMEDAY YOUR DREAM MAY COME TRUE WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
GOOD LUCK.

Bummer no pix...but cold calling antique shops in Colorado from the van on a road trip a shop owner said he had
an old Schwinn with twin lights (American Flyer) balloon bike....Went to check it out....it was an
unequipped 35 double diamond with Seiss Lights, killer original paint ...no tank or rack but NICE orig.
It was in the store kind of "in his way" so he said ignore the price tag of 1200...and would I be interested in
another bike? I said ummm sure, so went in the basement....MINT plain jane mens SilverKing .....about a 9
out of 10. Then the shocker...."How about 350 for both?" ....
then....
"But you gotta take one more bike..."
Next thing I know he's dragging in a rough campus green Stingray..

I said "OK!"

----Before I left he gave me a phone number of an original owner with an immaculate loaded
1940 Lime green Ladies Excelsior DX. A solid day of picking.

Goal of the trip was a farm auction in Nebraska where a 40' Autocycle was listed....I think
i did better Picking other bikes and early music gear, Fender amps and Ludwig drums....

Keep your eyes open in your travels

My score doesn't have huge cash value, but it's pretty cool. I loved the TV show The Wire. One of my best friends was an actor on the show. When the show ended, many props from the show were auctioned off to raise money for Baltimore schools.

One of the props was the "Nail Gun" from Season 4. If you know the show, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, my friend bought the nail gun for me.
Pretty cool.
Here's a photo of "Snoop" leaving the store with it:
IMG_6692.JPG

Bought a homemade welding cart $50, wanted the wheels because they were old Harley. The hubs turned out to be rare step hubs, $1000.
Bought a Abu Garcia fishing reel $5 at yard sale, sold $350 on fleabay to collector in Japan.
My scores are miniscule compared to the other posts.

I was riding my bike on my usual Friday jaunt when I passed by a house with a sign in front that was painted on a piece of plywood in neon pink letters that said "TOOL SALE". I like tools and I was intrigued, so I stopped to see what was up. As soon as I entered the driveway I realized I had stumbled upon something incredible. There were tools everywhere in this garage and it was all for sale. I guess an older guy that was a machinist had gone into a nursing home and his kids were disposing of his tools along with everything else in the house. They had a full size dumpster in front of the house and it was half full. I bought an antique wood plane for $5 (since I was on my bike and couldn't carry much) and went on my way thinking about all the stuff. I decided I would go back in the morning and hoped that it wouldn't all be gone.

I got there early in the morning Saturday to find out there was nobody out there yet. I thought that it was weird because with all those tools I figured people would be camping out there to get to them. I went for coffee and came back in an hour, and the sign was up, they were open for business! And there was nobody there. Apparently they DIDN'T ADVERTISE IT! I spent the next 4 hours poring through every tool I could get to in the garage. I would load up boxes of tools and they'd give me a price for the whole box. Finally I was tired and I went home and thought about it some more. There was still a lot of stuff they didn't have out that was in the back of the garage. So I went back the next day (Sunday) in the morning. Same story, nobody there. I waited, then it was just me again going through all of the tools. I spent a total of about $300 total and outfitted my entire workshop. They started just giving me stuff. And I was pulling stuff out of the big dumpster. I spent another 4 hours there that day. At the end of the day someone finally came in looking at the tools and one of the guys running sale pointed to me and said "he pretty much took everything" :). That was a good day. I felt bad about the guy going to the nursing home, but I use a lot of those tools quite often.

Back