When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Straightening forgings... Who has done it?

-

bloo

I live for the CABE
Straightening forgings, like Schwinn cranks, and forged stems. Have you done it successfully? Cold or hot? Torch? Big pipe? Did the parts stay straight after the repair? I have a forged crank with a slight bend, and also stem that may have been more level a few decades ago.

I hear they straighten bridge girders these days by putting tension against the part, and then heating a spot on the stretched side, but not glowing hot. Something less than the original tempering temperature, like maybe 1100-1200f. The hot metal has nowhere to go since it is restrained, and so must compress a little, and then when it cools and contracts the stretched side is shorter. I thought I might try that.

I would love to hear your crank straightening stories......

Just straightened an Elgin fork three ways. Straightened the steer tube, aligned the steer tube with the forks, and aligned the forks with each other. Did it all cold with the help of a 20 ton hydraulic pressure my nephew built in Ag class in high school.

This seems a good idea for a thread on “show us your mussed-up fork straightening examples” — especially those with burn marks, or vice clamp indentations.

Back