When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange European leaf-spring frame? What is it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
very intriguing!!! leaf-spring suspension on a bike, right under the nut sack .... could get painful if it would ever break while riding
I don't think that it is a modified ladies frame
it has to have a flex point .... rear stay maybe? hard to tell

Maybe this was one of those "OH SH*T!" bikes. The designer mocked the frame up and then noticed that he failed to include a pivot point. I've seen worse design mistakes in my life.

Kool, but arch is a bit exaggerated for actual spring travel path. It appears the frame components could be changed to be made as either Male or Female by simply exchanging a few lugs...pretty slick and money saving idea!

I'm not convinced that the rear stays are unable to pivot at the bottom bracket. The two lower rear stays could each be attached to a ring that is allowed to pivot around the crank spindle. I can't really see the bottom bracket very well in the picture, but that dust cover is thick and appears to be attached by at least two screws. The dust cover is on both sides and may cover the bearings/cones. Wish there were better pics of the bottom bracket. I can't find anything online.

1900s/1910s Centaur cross-frame bicycles were rigidly built, i.e. no pivots, but used lightweight tubing that flexed when ridden. So even if bb is not pivoted, the triangulation of the rear stays could still provide sufficient springing. Bear in mind that only very little flexibility is required in a spring-frame. Spring-frames are bad enough to ride as it is; when the bushes get worn too much flexing makes them atrocious to ride, particularly over bumps.
But the bb may pivot. How it works was not the priority at purchase time. If you're interested, I'll add detail pics after it arrives.

Compare this one and the way its bb pivots -
http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/1930-1934/1930-s-frame-suspension-springframe-bicycle/

1930-Spring-S-Frame-60_zpslfths5sb.jpg

In Amsterdam doing a tribal art fair, I saw this frame and fork on a Dutch classified website. I made an offer but did not get it, it sold within hours of being posted. Anyone know what is it?
]

Yeah there's a pivoting point on the BB it's just not shown . That swing play allowance in the design approx. 6" to stop on rear bars, and front curved bar easily follows the 1st 4 inches or more. , there's no metal on earth that can bend and return drop bars the distance this thing's got.

T for Triumph, Titan, Titanic, Titillating. ?

This looks like some bouncy, bouncy fun.
screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-10-38-15-am-png.png

Last edited:
1900s/1910s Centaur cross-frame bicycles were rigidly built, i.e. no pivots, but used lightweight tubing that flexed when ridden. So even if bb is not pivoted, the triangulation of the rear stays could still provide sufficient springing. Bear in mind that only very little flexibility is required in a spring-frame. Spring-frames are bad enough to ride as it is; when the bushes get worn too much flexing makes them atrocious to ride, particularly over bumps.
But the bb may pivot. How it works was not the priority at purchase time. If you're interested, I'll add detail pics after it arrives.

Compare this one and the way its bb pivots -
http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/1930-1934/1930-s-frame-suspension-springframe-bicycle/

1930-Spring-S-Frame-60_zpslfths5sb.jpg

So it seems you bought the frame and fork? What is it?

Back