When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange handlebars on Schwinn Corvettes (SOLVED)...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Avanti

Look Ma, No Hands!
Over the years, I've come across several Schwinn Corvettes equipped with these strange handlebars. The first two instances were on mid-fifties Vettes that were pulled from barns and were otherwise original. I found these examples online (green '56 and red '59). I was also able to track down a photo of the exact handlebars, which measure 29-5/8" wide, but have no idea if they are factory Schwinn or aftermarket. Has anyone ever seen these bars before and is it possible that they were a factory option on middleweights (perhaps for taller riders)? Thanks.

Untitled-2.jpg

CorvetteHandlebars1.jpg

CorvetteHandlebars2.JPG

20170604_211022.jpg

Last edited:
We had talked about these a while back . Not sure if we decided anything but they do show up on the cover of a Schwinn catalog. 1960 if I recall. GT or Island will add info when they check today I'm sure.

I've had a few of these bars on bikes and took a set off a bike when I parted it out.they were stamped Schwinn in the center.they were a high rise bar for taller riders as you mentioned.

I've had a few of these bars on bikes and took a set off a bike when I parted it out. they were stamped Schwinn in the center.they were a high rise bar for taller riders as you mentioned.

Fascinating. The design is highly unusual as it puts the rider's hands at an 45 degree angle - spreading out the shoulders. There has to be factory documentation referring to an optional raised handlebar since distributors would have had to specify it for special orders.

By the way, the bars pictured above were removed from the green 1956 Schwinn Corvette, which was sold new in Pasadena, CA. They do not have a Schwinn stamp, which would be expected as Schwinn did not start stamping their handlebars until the mid-sixties.

20170826_010134.jpg

Last edited:
Bob was correct, these were shown in the 1960 Schwinn sales brochure mounted on a Corvette. They called them Butterfly Bars and they're somewhat similar to the California Bars. Is there a W lightly stamped on the end of the bars?

s-l1600.jpg

Bob was correct, these were shown in the 1960 Schwinn sales brochure mounted on a Corvette. They called them Butterfly Bars and they're somewhat similar to the California Bars. Is there a W lightly stamped on the end of the bars?
View attachment 666202

You mean under the grips? I can check. What did the "California Bars" look like?

Back