When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange handlebars on Schwinn Corvettes (SOLVED)...

-
I have 2 Corvette 5 speeds in my Registry that had the Butterfly bars. I haven't come across any literature that states these were a Schwinn factory option, so I'm thinking they were a Schwinn made Dealer accessory that would be purchased and installed at your local dealers. These bars don't show up in the 1962 parts catalog which I find kind of odd.

The only NOS bike I ever had was equipped with them, a 60 Typhoon. I sold this bike to a member of the old Schwinn bike forum around 2008 or so. Can't remember his name real name, screen name was Minty Boxy, in IL. He passed on I remember though.
typhoonmint.JPG

I recently acquired this 1948 Columbia M69 Standard Motobike, which was modified in the late-fifties with the same 8" riser Butterfly bars found on my buddy's '56 Corvette. From my research, these bars played an important role in the genesis of the custom bike craze of the mid-to-late-fifites. These bars predate the first high-rise "ape hangers" of the early 1960's by at least 3-4 years and were typically combined with long neck stems to give that early SoCal custom look.

ColumbiaM69&SchwinnCorvette.jpg

The frame I talked @oldfart36 out of for the fork has a set of those bars on it, but they were mounted with a CT stem. The SN says it is an April 1960 Canti frame I'll look for a stamp and take a picture of them tomorrow because it's raining here now and my wife fears I would float away (whatever that means?). Could the fame be a Corvette?

The frame I talked @oldfart36 out of for the fork has a set of those bars on it, but they were mounted with a CT stem. The SN says it is an April 1960 Canti frame I'll look for a stamp and take a picture of them tomorrow because it's raining here now and my wife fears I would float away (whatever that means?). Could the fame be a Corvette?

This is why I want the bars and stem. Was a thing back in the day for the Kool Katz!

image (12).jpeg

Wow, I have never seen that Schwinn ad, they always follow and capitalized on the trends like the StingRay, BMX, beach cruiser etc. so I guess they saw the Butterfly bar trend which I think turned into StingRay bars. The Jaguar is as I found it 25+ years ago that some kids backyard hot rodded in the late 50's and the Spitfire my cousin bought new in 55 then added the cycle track gooseneck and butterfly bars because that was the hot thing, my dad end up with the bike about 1960 and a few years later I robbed them (and lost them later) to turn my stingray into a dirtbike. I replace them a few years ago and have since found The correct Cycle truck gooseneck and added tanks to both and chain guard & struts to the Jaguar ( my own hot rod touches) if you look at the movie in the wild ones with Marlon BrandoThe motorcycles had similar bars so that could be where the idea came from.
IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_6971.JPG
IMG_6972.JPG

Last edited:
Back