When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tricycle

-

Bicycle Museum of America

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good morning/afternoon/evening!

I have another strange machine to show all of you. I haven't been able to find anything like it. My best guess would be that it's a custom-made tricycle, maybe for decoration? I wanted to check with all of you first though.

thumbnail_IMG_3553.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3547.PNG

IMG_3546.PNG

thumbnail_IMG_3551.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3578.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3577.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3576.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3575.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3579.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3580.jpg

It's definitely not a newer reproduction. As far as age, I'd guess around 1920 or thereabouts. It's a typical strap steel frame tricycle which were made since the later 1800s. The seat, pedal, and tire/wheel style suggest the circa 1920 guesstimate. The only strange thing about it is the extended and dog legged handlebar support. Looks like it was modified to accommodate a larger rider with long legs. Never saw anything like it before. Very interesting find!

Dave

It's definitely not a newer reproduction. As far as age, I'd guess around 1920 or thereabouts. It's a typical strap steel frame tricycle which were made since the later 1800s. The seat, pedal, and tire/wheel style suggest the circa 1920 guesstimate. The only strange thing about it is the extended and dog legged handlebar support. Looks like it was modified to accommodate a larger rider with long legs. Never saw anything like it before. Very interesting find!

Dave
Thanks, Dave!

I agree
Looks like late teens to early z20’s strap steel
Green color and frameset look similar to Gendron manufacturer
Modified bars for whatever reason were custom add on or used for planned purpose
Definetly uniquely odd probably 1 of a kind
Thanks for posting
Balance of trike is great for its age !!

mark

Back