When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strip or blast???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I strip bike frames with an 8" wire wheel on my buffer. stripper is too messy, as is sandblasting unless you have a cabinet that will hold a bicycle frame

Easiest. Less mess sandblasting. If you have the means. I have a guy that blasts frames for about $30

I prefer blasting over a chemical strip. On this frame I stripped the paint with Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy remover and it took two good applications. Once it was stripped I blasted it since the frame was full of rust underneath the paint and still had paint in the hard to reach places. Then a little sanding with a 4" angle grinder and flap sanding disk. If you blast you won't have to mess with the rust spots so one easy process takes care of just about everything.

Frame after chemical strip and it's full of rust. Then the frame finished ready for primer after three steps.
Cali Vette Stripped Frame 001.jpg

Cali Vette Stripped Frame 002.jpg

Rusty derusted 004.jpg

I like blasting if possible. I am in the process of stripping a bike now, and it really really sucks and is messy. The downside of blasting is if you have thin flat metal, it can warp it! Even if you don't think it is hot.

Back