When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping chrome

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
What would be an efficient way to remove chrome from a metal piece like a chain guard?

There's another way, and you can do it yourself for under ten bucks. Go to Ace hardware and get a bottle of Acid Magic. It was developed as a safer alternative to muriatic. I submerged a badly pitted 1939 Schwinn springer yoke in a jar of it. I've used it to take rust off in the past and it worked well, without causing damage or adding the rust film, like muriatic does. I only meant to leave the part in the acid overnight, to clean the pits out, but forgot about it. A week later, that chrome piece looked like the day it was forged. Not a speck of chrome on it and no damage. Of course, I didn't want it without chrome, but it looked so good. Someone paid me 5 bucks for it at a swap. It's handy stuff and comes in quarts. Test it out on a small plated part, you'll like it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was hoping to do this myself and tinker’s method sounds good. I read about using Muriatic acid to remove chrome but that stuff Is very dangerous. I have to use it on my pool and have to be extremely careful handling it but Acid Magic is way safer from what I read on their site.

I'd do it on my giant wire wheel on my giant buffer. maybe sandblast it. you can paint over chrome so long as it is roughed up for good adhesion. it is the slick surface that makes paint on chrome fail, not the chrome itself.

Back