When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stripping paint

-

buck hughes

I live for the CABE
need to strip paint-is it possible to strip off the blue with out going through the original paint?

100_1566.JPG

I've had some great luck with Goof Off, oven cleaner for oil based paints. Oven cleaner works pretty fast and can spread to adjacent areas that might cause damage, use with caution.
Maybe try a small spot next to that bare metal chip , as a test.

Paint thinner on a Q-tip to see if it cuts the blue the base color looks like it's pretty tough industrial coating might even be baked on as a corrosion prevention method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's latex paint.

Always start with the weakest solution first. Then step up to stronger solution.

I'd use IN ORDER

1. USE A HOT AIR GUN AND SOFTEN THE LETTERS. FOCUS ON THE LETTERS ONE AT A TIME.
2.simple green first and soften the paint
3. mineral spirits soak 1-5 minutes soften the paint
4. enamel thinner soak same way.

Use a tooth brush as it looks like textured paint..going to make it hard to do completely.

That's why I suggest a hot air gun.

Notice the chipping paint in corners. That will likely peel off the adjacent color.paint with any solvent.

Also --Soaking in hot water maybe worth a first try- but to redlines point.."beware".

Leave it you’ll regret it...:0
Another option is to simply paint over it with a small texture foam roller using craft paint blended close to the color.
remove the two screws.
Apply it in two localized light coats...
That way you get the texture and exposed chipped paint

Back